See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

Quote Originally Posted by stusic

Also, as it is with my field of work, my graphics card was dual display capable even before I got two monitors; this was because I needed the GPU processing power and there weren't too many cards that had the power without being dual display capable.
    I have the same situation, however, getting IT to spend a meager 200 bucks on an
    additional LCD screen is quite the battle.

I need to get some ammo in order to convince the higher authorities that my daily life would be much easier with 2 screens.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

If you have a computer sitting idle, just use Remote Desktop and flip between the two. You can get twice the computing power. Primitve but functional.

Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: I would like some pictures showing what a cad user can do with 2 screens.

I just started a new job and they set me up with Dual Monitors right away. (I didn't even have to ask) I've never had them and at my last job I would have never asked because anything related to AutoCAD was put on the back burner. (very GIS oriented environment) So I have two monitors now and I'm trying to get them setup to have two views of the same project. I want one to be an overview on half of the right screen with the other half of the right screen for tool pallets & property dialog box etc. I want the left monitor to be for my primary drafting. So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens. Any Ideas?

Thanks

D

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmo1205
    So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens.
    It won't. Even is all ya get. Sorry.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmo1205
    I just started a new job and they set me up with Dual Monitors right away. (I didn't even have to ask) I've never had them and at my last job I would have never asked because anything related to AutoCAD was put on the back burner. (very GIS oriented environment) So I have two monitors now and I'm trying to get them setup to have two views of the same project. I want one to be an overview on half of the right screen with the other half of the right screen for tool pallets & property dialog box etc. I want the left monitor to be for my primary drafting. So far I can't get AutoCAD to unevenly split the screens. Any Ideas?

Thanks

D
    You could try not docking your tool palletes and property dialogue box, then it would just "cover" the drawing area that is not used. I personally am running dual Dell 20.1" ultra sharp wide screens. I used to run dual 19" flat screens. I lose about an inch in height, but pick up about 4" in width. Anyway, I stretch one cad session across both monitors, and have the left screen split horizonally (top and elevation views), and the right screen with one viewport in perspective. My toolbars are minimized and not docked. They fly out when I need them.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I use my screens for different programs.

I have a 21 inch widescreen LCD and a 17 inch CRT (the old one that I am wishing would break).

Usually I have cad ( be it Revit or AutoCAD) on one and often outlook on the other.

The best use for my method of working is to save the smaller one for reference files (PDF's of manufacturers stuff, checklists in word docs, internet, etc) and the larger screen for cad.

If using AutoCAD only, the second screen gets filled with properties box, tool palettes, some toolbars that I find useful.

The absolute best and efficient use is for the times I require AutoCAD and Revit open at the same time. I would hate to reference AutoCAD whilst producing a Revit drawing on the same screen. The flipping between the two would annoying to say the least.

The next best and efficient use I have found is to have two sessions of Autocad open and view separate drawings - usually when using a secondary drawing as an example to produce the primary drawing. People screw up their nose for this being a suitable use for two screens (there is Ctrl/Tab I know) -but I find that after talking to the same people after they have their second screen they do this surprising often - cut and paste between similar drawings is very handy as is viewing two things at once.

I am surprised this is an issue for management these days. The productivity improvement using two screens will pay for itself within 3 months (more likely one month!) - in Australia a goodish 21 inch LCD screen and video card costs about $750. Upper management will waste that on a self indulgent lunch.

If you can produce concrete proof that it is worth the money then good luck. It is one of those things that just should happen because it is easier to work with two screens. I have the benefit of working for myself and after doing some freelance in someone's office for four days using two screens - there was no way I was going back to one screen after that.

Thanks,
    Rob

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the in depth response. I am putting together a
    word document that I can use to make a case for an additional screen.
    The responses will definately help.

Login to Give a bone

There is a way to get the overall view on a second screen using basic Acad commands. Use the AV command and open up the AerialView window. It will dynamically show the area of the screen the main window is zoomed into as a white box on the miniature AV windows. It also works with layout tab changes.

kinda a helpful trick. along wih undocking all the movable windows and pallettes to the second screen,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag
    There is a way to get the overall view on a second screen using basic Acad commands. Use the AV command and open up the AerialView window. It will dynamically show the area of the screen the main window is zoomed into as a white box on the miniature AV windows. It also works with layout tab changes.

Wow. Just like the old days.
    I remember doing that under DOS with a third-party display driver that provided a "bird's-eye view. Of course, the second screen was usually 14" mono.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast