Thread: DesignJet 4500 by HP or the 3000 by KIP

Login to Give a bone

Wink DesignJet 4500 by HP or the 3000 by KIP

Good mornin' everybody!

Have a bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping you can help me out with...

We currently have an HP Designjet 750C Plus (groan...don't remind me) that is no longer even on it's last leg because it fell off that a few months back. So, I'm looking to get a replacement. Have had horrifying experiences with both Xerox and Canon in the past so decided to stick with my friendly ol’ standby, HP. Settled on the Designjet 4500 series to meet our needs and sent it up the chain. What I got back was a request to look at the 3000 by KIP. When I compared the cutsheets between the two, must admit that the 3000 looks to be about twice the plotter of the 4500 and would be quite the little machine. And, to be honest, I had never heard of KIP prior to that so have been poking around here and on AutoDesks website to see what actual users had to say. Have only had a couple hours to look around but what I'm finding on KIP has pretty much scarred the pants off me! I've read everything from the toner gets sucked up quickly until mysterious crannies are filled to the longest period between repairs was 6 weeks to their plotters put strange hazy things on your prints at random intervals that nobody can seem to fix...and the list goes on. I’ve really only seen two people who endorsed KIP and they both sell them! Is this company really that bad or have I just not dug deep enough?!? Another scary thing was that all their documentation says their plotters come with AutoCAD drivers already built in and can plot right from AutoCAD products, but when they discuss actual file types they always refer to DWF’s… What the heck?

So, question is: My replacement options are either the DesignJet 4500 by HP or the 3000 by KIP. What are your opinions on the two?

Thank you for the help!!!

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: DesignJet 4500 by HP or the 3000 by KIP

No one has an opinion as to the reliability and functionality of KIP Plotters? I know somebody out there has to be using this manufacturer....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DesignJet 4500 by HP or the 3000 by KIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgirl
    No one has an opinion as to the reliability and functionality of KIP Plotters? I know somebody out there has to be using this manufacturer....
    I have an opinion on most things, so I won't disappoint!

When I was working in Toronto, they had a 15 year old KIP plotter that was the main printing machine for 200 CAD seats, as long as it was regularly serviced, it was fine. KIPs are difficult to get consumables and service for, but I'm sure you can find at least one source for what you would need.

My personal rule of thumb is KIP or Xerox for Black and White printing, HP for Colour.

You will also need to look at your "click-rate" (number of prints over time), you may find it cheaper, more reliable and faster to print out of house for big print runs and use a good quality, low turnover plotter (an HP) for in-house check prints. Do a simple comparison on price per sheet with your local print-house/reprographics company, haggle them down about 25% and you may save your boss a small fortune.

Login to Give a bone

We just took delivery of two HP4500's about 5 weeks ago. So far, so good.

You just can't go wrong with HP plotters.

We have a 6+ year old 1050C that still runs great, and it's never had so much as one maintenance call. We also have three 750C's that are still churning along....

Can't speak for KIP, we only use HP and OCE.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to macwizzy06's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When it comes to plotters, i believe there should be no experimenting. Plotters are expected to serve a minimum of 3 years as they are not frequently changed items. While i do not wish to bad-mouth KIP, I would not suggest that you gamble with your money (or the company's) by going for a brand which functionality cannot be confirmed. AutoCAD is the most popular design software and it's a wise marketing strategy to make plotters with built-in acad drivers.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We have an HP800 PS and a KIP 3000. Originally we were using a KIP880 and HP220. The HP died and the KIP 880 wasn't a printer, only a copier. After we replaced the HP, we needed to find a more efficient copier and ended up with the KIP3000 for several reasons. Cost of other machines with same options were much higher. It prints, scans, and copies. We have no trouble with printing from CAD. Like all printers, it took time to figure out the new print origin. The prints come out much faster from the KIP. We really only use the HP to keep the ink working in case we need something in color. We did have trouble with the maintenance company on the KIP880 but we have since found a more reputable service company. We have it connected to our network and have the two roll system, which is probably my favorite feature. Our old copier held one 36" roll. So, everything smaller had to be single sheet fed. Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have questions, I will answer what I can.