Thread: Picking points in order to create a point group in Civil 3D 2007

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Picking points in order to create a point group in Civil 3D 2007

Whenever I create a new point group, I have to pick one point at a time. The reason being is as follows: If I wanted to pick multiple clusters of points by windowing around points in one area, then more in another, it would be impossible to determine which points have been chosen due to the fact that when I make that first window around the first cluster of points, ALL the points become highlighted. This is assuming I have included the actual marker (node) in the window. If I window around only the labels of more than one point, only one point becomes highlighted. I am fairly new to the Civil 3D package so I'm not sure if there is a setting to be changed or if it's a bug in the software. Maybe there is a patch to download. Anybody have any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Picking points in order to create a point group in Civil 3D 2007

Well if you know what points you want to add to the group you can just type then into the query (i.e. 1-6,20-30,45,100). You also can do an exclude in the same manner, so there are way to get aroundit if you know what you are actually trying to select.

Login to Give a bone

Going along with Shadygrafix, if you know what you want to select you dont really need to pick off the screen at all. Not only can you select points by number, but also by raw descriptions, full descriptions, names, and elevations. This is very similar to the way point groups were formed in Land Desktop. For instance, if you wanted to make a point group to create a existing ground surface and you have your standard set of codes that your surveyors use. You can create the point group from the points with codes relavent to a surface. That way you can get the majority of what you want, and go in and pick stray misc. or individual points.

Login to Give a bone

If you change the point style for your new group you will be able to visually see a difference on the screen. That way you will now which points have been added to the group.

You don't need to worry about selecting the same point more than once.