Thread: Phase Filters

I could stop if I wanted to Clyne Curtis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Phase Filters

Hey All!

I have a remodel project with EXISTING CONSTRUCTION, DEMOLILTION, and NEW CONSTRUCTION levels. All elements on the plans display as desired. Now I am setting up a roof framing plan, and I want the walls (supporting the framing above) to show dashed. I created a roof framing level. My phase filter is set to SHOW PREVIOUS+NEW and my phase is NEW CONSTRUCTION. I set my VG line style overrides for walls to dashed. All NEW CONSTRUCTION wall appear dashed, as desired, but the PREVIOUS walls that were created as NEW walls in the EXISTING phase do not change to dashed. I achieved this result in the past on another project, but for some reason, cannot get it to happen again. What am I missing?

Clyne

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phase Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Clyne Curtis
    Hey All!

I have a remodel project with EXISTING CONSTRUCTION, DEMOLILTION, and NEW CONSTRUCTION levels. All elements on the plans display as desired. Now I am setting up a roof framing plan, and I want the walls (supporting the framing above) to show dashed. I created a roof framing level. My phase filter is set to SHOW PREVIOUS+NEW and my phase is NEW CONSTRUCTION. I set my VG line style overrides for walls to dashed. All NEW CONSTRUCTION wall appear dashed, as desired, but the PREVIOUS walls that were created as NEW walls in the EXISTING phase do not change to dashed. I achieved this result in the past on another project, but for some reason, cannot get it to happen again. What am I missing?

Clyne
    Not an answer to your question, but I am wondering, do you have an actual Demolition Phase? As apposed to Demolition as an act within a phase?

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

For one thing, your phase graphic overrides may be affecting the line style of your existing walls. There may be a way to use filters to acheive the desired result, but I'm not exactly sure, I would have to look into it more.

And also, in most cases you don't need a separate "demolition" phase. By definition, a demolished object is something that was created prior to your current construction project, and removed during the current construction project. So you would only need an Existing phase and New Construction. Demolished objects are created on the Existing phase and demolished on the New Construction phase.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    And also, in most cases you don't need a separate "demolition" phase. By definition, a demolished object is something that was created prior to your current construction project, and removed during the current construction project. So you would only need an Existing phase and New Construction. Demolished objects are created on the Existing phase and demolished on the New Construction phase.

The way I have started describing this is "Demolition is an ACT, that occurs during a PHASE." This is hard to get your head around at first, given that in AutoCAD Demo is just another bunch of layers, just like new and exisiting, so we came to think of it as a phase. However, I think the Revit way is actually closer to the way a building is built. I think if you look at a contractor's Gantt chart, demolition is a task within a phase, and you might demo some stuff over here early in construction, and over there later in construction, but you wouldn't schedule every last bit of demolition before you start any other new work.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

If your view is set to New Construction and you want to see elements placed in Existing Constrcution as dashed, your phase filter needs to have the "Existing" option set as "Overriden". It'll then use the Graphic Override for the "Existing" Phase Status. If all your other views are perfectly fine and this phase filter is used elsewhere, you might need to duplicate it and call it something else and make changes in the new filter.

I could stop if I wanted to Clyne Curtis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks all for the input, shoulda checked a little closer into my Graphic Overides as that was the issue!!

Clyne