Thread: SECTION GENERATOR

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default SECTION GENERATOR

ADT 2006 - I have used Autodesk joist girders to represent joists in a warehouse. When I review the "front elevation" everything looks fine. All the joists are in perfect alignment, and I only see one joist in each bay. However, when I generate a standard section with the sections generator, it appears that half the joists are inverted. That is, instead of seeing the Nice and regular "V" or inverted "V", I am seeing "X"s for the full length of each joist. What is going on here?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SECTION GENERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    ADT 2006 - I have used Autodesk joist girders to represent joists in a warehouse. When I review the "front elevation" everything looks fine. All the joists are in perfect alignment, and I only see one joist in each bay. However, when I generate a standard section with the sections generator, it appears that half the joists are inverted. That is, instead of seeing the Nice and regular "V" or inverted "V", I am seeing "X"s for the full length of each joist. What is going on here?
    Hard to say without having a file to observe, but just a shot in the dark, it could have to do with how you create the section region in plan view.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried enabling live section of you model to see if the problem is there. if those appear correct then it has to be in the way the section is reading. Maybe post it here so people can take a look?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have not tried the live section. However, in another thread I talked about the same file causing ADT to shut down during certain procedures. One of the procedures causing ADT to crash is generate section.

I took to heart some advice from the other thread and did a recover on each XREF until there were no errors. Then I did the same for the active file. I also W-Blocked ther active file, then re-saved it as the original.

I deleted the original section, but left the section cut line, and regenerated the section. The screwed up joists re-appeared. The file is attached, and I would be most appreciative if someone has a clue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Ok wow, that is one tough file to work with. After a good solid 2 hours with it I have nothing.
    I checked all the xrefs to make sure is not dragging joists in with any of them. I did a live section in the xref that contains the joists and they all lined up. I should have cut a 2dsection at that time but didn't. Then after a couple of crashes stating 'out of memory' I was able to get a live section of the warehouse dwg. When I viewed it from the front it showed the x's. Then as I tilted it with 3d orbit and reached a certain point it seems as though they straightened out to show correctly. I was going back to front view and of course got another crash.
    Now my boss is back in the office and for some reason wants me to spend some time on other things. He is going to vote in a few mins so i will try some other things then. Sorry I could not be more help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    I deleted the original section, but left the section cut line, and regenerated the section. The screwed up joists re-appeared. The file is attached, and I would be most appreciative if someone has a clue.
    From a management standpoint, this is getting a bit confusing. Are the files located in this post http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=50110&p=595288 the same as the ones in this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=50108&p=595281? I realize that these appear to be seperate issues, but I feel they are somehow one and the same. Just trying to figure out how to approach this.

Login to Give a bone

Well, I have it tracked down to display configs at the very least (I think). I tried cutting a section in the source file for the trusses and it worked just fine. Tried it in the xref file and they came out garbled. So that is where I leave. I'm gonna fall asleep now so may as well fall asleep thinking about this. I'll post back if I dream up a solution...

FWIW, I have no crashy when refreshing the section object.