See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: ADT 2005 object tags disappear

Login to Give a bone

Default ADT 2005 object tags disappear

Following Autodesk's recommendations all of my wall, door and window tags are placed in view files to reference the appropriate construct. When my projects change phases I make a copy of the project and change the name of the copy to match the new phase. I then use the Reference Manager to update all of the external reference paths. I then open one of the view files with my tags and find that all of the links to the constructs are lost and I no longer have any wall, door or window tags.

How do I prevent this from happening short of updating the external references one view file at a time?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT 2005 object tags disappear

Quote Originally Posted by gregb
    Following Autodesk's recommendations all of my wall, door and window tags are placed in view files to reference the appropriate construct. When my projects change phases I make a copy of the project and change the name of the copy to match the new phase. I then use the Reference Manager to update all of the external reference paths. I then open one of the view files with my tags and find that all of the links to the constructs are lost and I no longer have any wall, door or window tags.

How do I prevent this from happening short of updating the external references one view file at a time?
    Have you tried just letting PN re-path all files in the project?
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Occasionally, when moving projects around, I will be prompted to update the reference paths by the Project Browser. When asked, I will instruct the program to do this and I will happily watch as the program appears to update the paths. Upon opening the project, however, I will find that none of the paths have been changed. Clicking the "Repath Xref" buttons in the project navigator has no effect either because (I'm making an assumption here) the drawings still exist in their original location and the reference paths aren't actually broken.

Login to Give a bone

How are you copying your projects? Is it as outlined in the thread you posted in the tips and tricks forum? Or are you right clicking the project in Project Browser and choosing to copy the project from there?

Login to Give a bone

I've been following a process that's similar to what I gave in the tips & tricks forum. I tried using the the copy project feature from the Project Browser but all it did was copy the folder structure. None of the drawings were put in the new project. Seems kind of silly but there you go.

I experimented with the archiving feature yesterday and that looks like it's going to be the way to go. I found that if I create a zip file to save the current state of the project I can simply rename the original project and sheet set to the new phase. It's a little more difficult to refer to the previous phase this way (which was the main reason for keeping it) but I think I can live with that.

Thanks for the input. Hope I didn't waste your time.
    Last edited by gregb; 2006-11-08 at 04:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gregb
    Thanks for the input. Hope I didn't waste your time.
    No problem at all! That's why the forum is here so others can use the info here as a resource.