Thread: Sidewalks

Login to Give a bone

Question Sidewalks

How do you model a sidewalk in Revit? I have an Autocad site plan that I have imported into Revit. I would like to sketch over the sidewalk and "extrude". Not sure what tool to use.

Toposurface didn't seem to be appropriate. Would I simply create a component in place?

Any tips? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sidewalks

You can use the floor tool. this way you can build in all layers of your sidewalk assembly. You can use multiple floors to create diff. sloping surfaces along your topo. Pay attention to the slope arrow within the floor editor, it's a powerful little arrow!

Josh
    Hope this helps.

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Josh has it right. Use the floor or the concrete slab tool to create your sidewalks and drive areas.

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Dear Jack;
    You can also try out the ramp tool. This will block out your basic sidewalk fairly easily. You can then make a railing type that has say a curb profile. As the others are saying, there is no one tool that will do this easily. It depends on how and what you want to control.
    Best regards,

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all!

jack

Login to Give a bone

One simpler, but less refined way to do this would be to create the sidewalks as a subregion of the topography and then give them a separate material (assuming you have a topo surface in your project).
    This would allow you to quickly pick the sidewalk lines from the AutoCAD file, but wouldn't allow you to "extrude" the sidewalk. In order to raise the sidewalk above the adjacent site, you would have to adjust the topo itself. This may take longer than using floors or ramps.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I always create a subcategory of floors called "Outside Walks" so that I can control visibility separately from floors inside the buildings.

TC

Login to Give a bone

A trick which was noted somewhere here before is to start by tracing your Autocad plan with filled regions so that you can hatch them in plan, then create your topo-surface and create subregions by picking the filled regions and locking them together. You can then edit the filled regions in plan views and have the topo update, or edit the topo in 3d and have the plan update. Sections would be completely detail components. When you create your topo-surface pay attention to the triangulation, if you have messy triangles you're more likely to have problems with subregions and split regions.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=ford347;595278]You can use the floor tool. this way you can build in all layers of your sidewalk assembly. You can use multiple floors to create diff. sloping surfaces along your topo. Pay attention to the slope arrow within the floor editor, it's a powerful little arrow!

Josh
    Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

Hi Josh, Im trying to make a Road and Sidewalk along my topo, for the road I have no problem since im making it from subregion. But for my sidelwalk im having trouble with it since I wanted to extrude it 8" from the road and should follow along with my topo. Any tips?

Thank you so much.