See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADT2006 - MVIEWBLOCK Best Practices?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT2006 - MVIEWBLOCK Best Practices?

Quote Originally Posted by CADMama
    Isn't there a Best Practices doc out there somewhere about creating MVIEW blocks?
    Can someone help me out here?
    CADMama
    Perhaps this blog article will shed some light on the overall process. It assumes you can create the graphics for the various blocks, and focuses on how to assemble them into a Multi-View Block. The key is that each block has to have its graphics drawn on the appropriate 3D plane [World XY, XZ or YZ] - and you can temporarily change the UCS to facilitate that - but you MUST create the block definitions with the UCS set to World.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jswantek
    That's the way I do them, and make sure you give the blocks names that correspond with the views, such as BLOCK_LEFT, or BLOCK_TOP. That makes it easier to remember which one is which when you're setting up your MVBlock definitions.
    It's a little more complicated than that. Every view of every block must be unique. For example, if you insert an MVB of a sofa with view names set to block left, block right, etc., then insert a chair with the same names for the views, then you will see the sofa, not the chair. The MVB collects its views from blocks already in the drawing.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    It's a little more complicated than that. Every view of every block must be unique. For example, if you insert an MVB of a sofa with view names set to block left, block right, etc., then insert a chair with the same names for the views, then you will see the sofa, not the chair. The MVB collects its views from blocks already in the drawing.
    I thought that went without saying, as the same holds true for the regular blocks, thus using the block name and view (BLOCK NAME_VIEW) makes it even more unique. Not that difficult....

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: ADT2006 - MVIEWBLOCK Best Practices?

Have you already investigated SOLVIEW and SOLDRAW to solve your problem?

Bruce Jones

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.jones
    Have you already investigated SOLVIEW and SOLDRAW to solve your problem?

Bruce Jones
    Those commands are for base vanilla autocad. MVB's are for ADT/ABS only.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

here is a video I made for my office to go over if they get lost on making a mviewblock.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bob3567; 2008-07-10 at 08:03 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So that's how revit "families" worked their way into Autocad then. Sure is fun having to know both, and having to remember how to use Quickpen and dive back into cad_duct again after two years away. Fortunately or otherwise, I'm the only cad guy in my location. I'll just delegate that to myself then.......

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Couple of extra tricks I've found useful.

You can give your elevation blocks a face to block what's behind rather than just lines.
    So for e.g. a toilet elevation block would block out tiling behind. For this you can use a number of devices such as aecPolygons, Regions, Solid (2D) but I have found a simple solid hatch is the most dependable.
    aecPolygons have the complication of a style (which would be helpful or not - but requires consistency and maintenance)
    Regions are only one sided
    Solids mmm not used them but can they only be square?
    I use a almost white 255,255,254 hatch with plot style standard (STB) so it would work in any setup.

I also sometimes double up a (toilet) elevation so that no matter where a section is made it will still show the (toilet) elevation.

I just did a washing machine and fridge today. I want a 3D model for rendering but only dashed lines in elevation as it's not part of the building contracts. So I used a 3D model for model views and constructed a box mesh with lines and gave colour 54. Rather than construct top, side views I use the same box for all. It's 1m x 1m and can be sized for what ever size you require in properties pallete (Model was also squashed to 1x1m). Colour 54 in my elevation styles using rules is interpreted as swing lines (as in doors and awning windows) and automates as a dash. Because the elevations use a open box not a solid, you get dashed lines and see tiles behind - nothing is blocked.

If your object is square it might be quicker , more efficient to use a model for all views rather than construct for each view.

Use intelligent insert points. i.e. Toilet at back centre for easy snappng to centre of wall. Sink - 50mm in front for easy snapping to centre front edge of bench. Don't forget to set your front view of sink 50mm back from insert point especially if you have shown bowl. You may want it to show in sections but you want it hiidden by cabinet in front elevation.

IMHO the OOTB content was set up wrong and confusing. Front view is actually side etc. I rebelled and draw my blocks as I look at them. Front is bottom of screen and this works with the tick boxes in your MVB definitions so you are not ticking Front for a side view.

Interpret that all for ways you would use it, HIH's and good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12