Thread: Use DI command to get precise length of Line using Perpendicular snap

Login to Give a bone

Default Use DI command to get precise length of Line using Perpendicular snap

hi guys.
    something that has bugged me about using the "di" command. if i start the command, and I want it to get the start point on a line, it seems to me that if i right click and choose "perpendicular" then I should be able to click on the line(or polyline if that's the case). but, when I use this method, it always picks an arbitrary spot on the line. i want the start to be perpendicular to the line so i know it's going to be straight(i just use ortho mode).

any hints or tips would be appreciated.

thx
    Last edited by gisdude; 2006-11-09 at 05:10 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Use DI command to get precise length of Line using Perpendicular snap

Don't get me started on Deferred Perpendicular. Try using M2P with it: you'll find the same behaviour. I submitted it to Autodesk, and they said there is a problem, but there aren't enough people complaining about it to do anything.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to draw a line and get your distance that way.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Use DI command to get precise length of Line using Perpendicular snap

so.... i'm not the only one.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timcreary
    I submitted it to Autodesk, and they said there is a problem, but there aren't enough people complaining about it to do anything.

Where do we need to send the complaints?

Login to Give a bone

I did it through our subscription program. I'm not sure if there are other avenues that would be more effective.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rlong.96213
    hi guys.
    something that has bugged me about using the "di" command. if i start the command, and I want it to get the start point on a line, it seems to me that if i right click and choose "perpendicular" then I should be able to click on the line(or polyline if that's the case). but, when I use this method, it always picks an arbitrary spot on the line. i want the start to be perpendicular to the line so i know it's going to be straight(i just use ortho mode).

any hints or tips would be appreciated.

thx
    If it's a vertical or horizontal line, how about picking NEArest for the initial osnap.

If it's not vertical or horizontal, using PERpendicular with ortho on could give some strange results.