Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to Customize Layer States ie Ignore Xref names?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is there a way to Customize Layer States ie Ignore Xref names?

Is there a way for AutoCAD to ignore the XREF path of a layer name when saving or restoring a layer state. I would like AutoCad to ignore the xref path of a layer name when saving or restoring a layer state. I was thinking that it would then allow you to set up a layer state based on a layer standard and import/export it to all drawings whether they are x-referenced or not, as it would only look for the layer name not the x-ref path of the layer name. I want to create a "Master" Layer State for my Site Plan, Grading Plan, Erosion Control Plan, Geometric Data Plan..etc. Then I want to be able to import that "Master" Layer State into different projects. Since we use a standard layer naming system, right now the only difference is the xref path names. Does anyone have any idea on how I could do this, or have a better idea on this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is there a way to Customize Layer States ie Ignore Xref names?

Quote Originally Posted by abuv_all
    Is there a way for AutoCAD to ignore the XREF path of a layer name when saving or restoring a layer state. I would like AutoCad to ignore the xref path of a layer name when saving or restoring a layer state. I was thinking that it would then allow you to set up a layer state based on a layer standard and import/export it to all drawings whether they are x-referenced or not, as it would only look for the layer name not the x-ref path of the layer name. I want to create a "Master" Layer State for my Site Plan, Grading Plan, Erosion Control Plan, Geometric Data Plan..etc. Then I want to be able to import that "Master" Layer State into different projects. Since we use a standard layer naming system, right now the only difference is the xref path names. Does anyone have any idea on how I could do this, or have a better idea on this?
    I don't know about the Xref Path baeing ignored by layer states, but if all your projects follow a similar pattern, I would assume that your drawing files have similar file names? If the file names (or the Xref name) are the same, you can set layer states and they will be transferable from one job to the next.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carl_hd_collins
    I don't know about the Xref Path baeing ignored by layer states, but if all your projects follow a similar pattern, I would assume that your drawing files have similar file names? If the file names (or the Xref name) are the same, you can set layer states and they will be transferable from one job to the next.
    Thats the problem, each project has a different project number so the naming of the xrefs are different. But the layers inside the drawings are the same. example:

999base.dwg
    999topo.dwg
    999survey.dwg

all of these drawings will be referenced into the plan sheet ie. 999siteplan.dwg

then when i set the layer states for 999siteplan.dwg i would like to be able to use the same layer state for project number 921siteplan.dwg

but layer states will look for the xreferenced layer "999base-00-bnd" and not just the
    "00-bnd" base layer name. so i was thinking if you can modify layer states to not recognize the "xref" and only the actual layer name.. then I could create a "master" layer state, and pretty much save one layer state. export it to a network drive, and when a new project is created, and a new siteplan.dwg is created, I can just import my layer state, click a few buttons.. and everything would be ready to plot. make any sense? anyone have any other ways of doing something similar?

Login to Give a bone

Thats the problem, each project has a different project number so the naming of the xrefs are different. But the layers inside the drawings are the same. example:

999base.dwg
    999topo.dwg
    999survey.dwg

all of these drawings will be referenced into the plan sheet ie. 999siteplan.dwg

then when i set the layer states for 999siteplan.dwg i would like to be able to use the same layer state for project number 921siteplan.dwg

but layer states will look for the xreferenced layer "999base-00-bnd" and not just the
    "00-bnd" base layer name. so i was thinking if you can modify layer states to not recognize the "xref" and only the actual layer name.. then I could create a "master" layer state, and pretty much save one layer state. export it to a network drive, and when a new project is created, and a new siteplan.dwg is created, I can just import my layer state, click a few buttons.. and everything would be ready to plot. make any sense? anyone have any other ways of doing something similar?
    Rename the Reference Name of your XREF to a common name amongst your projects.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Richard's above method is a good one.

You may also wish to review the couple of threads referenced in THIS post.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I personally wouldn't include the Project Number in the Filename, I delineate the projects by folder and have similarly named files within those folders.

So, by way of example, I would have:

Folder - 999
    --Containing - Topo.dwg, Survey.dwg, etc.
    and
    Folder - 998
    --Containing - Topo.dwg, Survey.dwg, etc.

In this case, you wouldn't need to rename your Xrefs in the Xref Manager.

Login to Give a bone

When you do a file search for topo.dwg, how many would you have to sift through to find the right one? The folder / file management here was well on its way (ie: not well organized) prior to my starting here. Changing much of that system is not likely. I have managed to get file names changed to include the job number plus the type of drawing in the name. Not all files are named appropriately and will most likely never be named appropriately.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

When you do a file search for topo.dwg, how many would you have to sift through to find the right one? The folder / file management here was well on its way (ie: not well organized) prior to my starting here. Changing much of that system is not likely. I have managed to get file names changed to include the job number plus the type of drawing in the name. Not all files are named appropriately and will most likely never be named appropriately.
    One of the bains of my life is trying to get people to name files properly. We actually do have a very good system, it's when you see things like "D-30-010 - Daniels mods.dwg" that you just wonder why you got out of bed that morning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast