Thread: Dropped Header

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dropped Header

I am trying to show a dropped header at a unit entry as illustrated in the attached image. What is the best way to go about this? Right now I have it drawn as a wall, but when I enter the correct height for the wall it is out of my view range. My first instinct was to adjust the view range, but that didn't work. I then thought that a structural beam might be the way to go. I haven't worked with those yet, so I wanted to see if that was the way to go before I look more into beams. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dropped Header

I would definitely use the structural beam tool for a dropped header. The only thing you may want to do is modify the dimensional lumber family member as far as visibility settings. Generally beams are set up to show a beam symbol line in the coarse view setting and the actual modeled object/beam in the medium and fine view settings. If you want to show a symbol line but want your view to be in the fine setting (which it looks in your attachment), you will have to change that in the structural beam family object.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lhanyok
    I am trying to show a dropped header at a unit entry as illustrated in the attached image. What is the best way to go about this? Right now I have it drawn as a wall, but when I enter the correct height for the wall it is out of my view range. My first instinct was to adjust the view range, but that didn't work. I then thought that a structural beam might be the way to go. I haven't worked with those yet, so I wanted to see if that was the way to go before I look more into beams. Thanks!
    Try this. Model the header as you mentioned, with a wall whose bottom is at the right height. In your floor plan, underlay the ceiling plan, and use the Linework tool to change the header lines to Overhead. Then remove the ceiling plan underlay. You will continue to see the header as overhead. I had not fully appreciated how much the linework tool can do, in this type of situation, elevations, etc. until very recently. It is really very slick.

Best,
    Gordon

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to use the linework method. I figured there would be a way to use that tool - I just didn't think of the ceiling underlay. Thanks!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lhanyok
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to use the linework method. I figured there would be a way to use that tool - I just didn't think of the ceiling underlay. Thanks!
    Yeah, it was the idea of an "underlay" of something that is above that threw me for a bit. I think sometimes I think too spatially now. I think you will find it does just exactly what you want.

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

I like Gordon's suggestion. In residential project I used to use that method for showing dashed lines on my plans for roof overhangs.