Thread: Network problems are causing Open / Save commands to run very slow

Login to Give a bone

Default Network problems are causing Open / Save commands to run very slow

Hello

Im not sure if this is the right place for this post BUT here goes:

I am having trouble with the computers on my office's network taking an impossibly long time opening the file browser upon any command that requires this...such as Open or Save as. After much research and tinkering I have discovered that there is some background service that starts up with windows that is causing the trouble - I know this because I dont have the problem when I choose a "Diagnostic Startup" from the System Configuration Utility (run msconfig). I tried to pinpoint the precise application which was causing the problem but there are far too many to weed out the culprit. I know that I had success once when I told Norton not to scan my Autocad related files (eg dwg bak etc) but the problem persisted or changed into something else. I have since uninstalled Norton and have tried AVG. I also tried to disable anything I thought as suspicious but it has not worked.

So what I am looking for specifically is the program to disable at startup so that Autocad may run in a nrmal manner.

thanks for your help in advance.

G.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Network problems are causing Open / Save commands to run very slow

Hi

Have you browsed / seen the Autodesk Technical Documents listed in THIS post...

Are you running a Windows Network ?

If yes, have you tried searching Microsoft's web site for relevant Articles / Technical Documents / etc.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network problems are causing Open / Save commands to run very slow

Also check for bad shortcuts (shortcuts that point to network resources that no longer exist) in places like the Desktop, My Documents, My Network Places, etc. You can search for shortcuts by searching for .LNK files.

You may wish to consider disabling digital signature icons. When enabled, it causes browsing in directories containing DWG files to be very slow. Look near the top of this page for help doing that: http://www.hyperpics.com/tipsandtricks/tips.asp?id=154
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Couple things caused me to deal with this problem also. My fixes were this:

Anti virus & firewall - firewalls limit file sharing and peer to peer access in such a way that may seem like system hanging while the firewall is blocking continuous attempts from clients to authenticate with eachother. Also, antivirus can at times cause system hang if it incorrectly identifies transferred files as trojans, etc.

Users - if you're using a peer to peer network without a host domain controller or "master" server, look for issues using named logins. If you have legacy OS's on your network such as Windows 98, ME, or even 2000, look for authentication issues that arise from not having each client store each potential network user's name locally. Going back to legacy OS's, you're going to run into big troubles with the anonymous shares such as IPS$ otherwise.

Both of these could be present in a normal login and not in safe mode.

Also, look for outstanding print jobs along the lines of what rkmcswain wrote. Locking up a print spooler can bind an entire system.

Another test will be to try to open files first inside of AutoCAD using the open menu, and then next using Windows Explorer. If it's present in both, chances are it's a login or resource issue not related to CAD. If so, please restore your antivirus protection of CAD files as there are exploits out there for them.

Hope this helps! Probly could help more with additional details.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for all the responses but frankly I have tried all of the suggestions with no improvement.
    Yes, I have disabled the digital dsignature option.
    Yes, I am able to open files easily from windows explorer.
    Yes, I have disable my antivirus software.
    I dont beleive there is an issue with bak links since I reguraly clean my computer of them.

Again, the only solution I have found was to turn off a number of background processes and applications that are run from startup. Yes, I have solved my problem, but I would like to zero in on the source - i had to try a number of times before I found something that worked - so that in future I know how to deal with it AND so that I can get my system working to its fullest except for that one process causing intereference.

one more thing, when accessing the server via other software eg. Photoshop, Illustrator etc there is no lag. What is Autocad demanding that the others do not?

If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate hearing them

G
    Last edited by gabriel_friedman; 2006-11-21 at 06:03 AM.