Thread: Sun settings VS realtime view settings

I could stop if I wanted to Maximillian's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sun settings VS realtime view settings

I cant not seem to get the lighting in my render to look like my shaded view. I have use view settings checked. No matter what I do the render makes my building look like a pastel cartoon. Is there a way to keep those shadows from my view (advanced model graphics). The shadow and sun mixture settings also have to effect, is that normal?
    See images below.

The first is my view

Second is the render.

They look nothing alike.

My main goal is to get the shadows to be rich and dark while keeping the finish color correct. In my elevations I have used the 0d 90d trick to get the color right and use that as my control color to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sun settings VS realtime view settings

It's all about the material set-ups. The shaded view does not display the AccuRender material--typically simple image maps. I would start by removing any AccuRender maps and allowing the diffuse color to drive the rendering...

All AUGI, all the time DanielleAnderson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Also, for your non-rendered view, you might want to go into the advanced sun settings and set the sun to about 80% and the shadows to about 20%. That usually gets a slightly closer match brightness-wise.

Login to Give a bone

After hours of torture, I decided to check my materials. Shinny = BAD, Smooth = BAD. (stupid mistake).

The problem I have with this render system is that I had the sun and sky light intensity set to the lowest setting and it was still to bright. I had to adjust the azimuth and altitude to work around it. I know the sun does not change intensity in real life but sometimes its about the intended output result not a scientific simulation.

Realistic rendering is an art and only some programs do it well. Otherwise the render looks contrived (see pics above). I think the smartest thing that Auto-desk can do is to allow textures to be displayed real time like sketch-up, and add a extension and jitter line option. That way I can composite different view types into a image that are easy on the eyes, as opposed to a mediocre render that takes hours to prep.

If a new render engine is Incorporated I hope it is organized very well and most importantly will give uses the control OPTIONS required for photo rendering. IE: lighting, specular maps and volumetric procedural shaders that do not look outdated.

sorry for the informational rant..I was up until 4am.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian
    ...The problem I have with this render system is that I had the sun and sky light intensity set to the lowest setting and it was still to bright. I had to adjust the azimuth and altitude to work around it. I know the sun does not change intensity in real life but sometimes its about the intended output result not a scientific simulation..
    Rendering will always auto expose. Use Adjust Image tool. Turn up cloudiness and make sun value lower than sky.

Use "Sun and shadow settings from view" to help you set the sun angle quickly.

...Realistic rendering is an art and only some programs do it well. Otherwise the render looks contrived (see pics above). I think the smartest thing that Auto-desk can do is to allow textures to be displayed real time like sketch-up, and add a extension and jitter line option. That way I can composite different view types into a image that are easy on the eyes, as opposed to a mediocre render that takes hours to prep..
    Set your quality settings to Draft/Draft. Up the resolution to 5000px wide for final render.

Hope your computer is modern.

...If a new render engine is Incorporated I hope it is organized very well and most importantly will give uses the control OPTIONS required for photo rendering. IE: lighting, specular maps and volumetric procedural shaders that do not look outdated.

sorry for the informational rant..I was up until 4am.
    Use accustudio.com textures.

You'll get it. You are right it's an art, but there are some basics that can really help.

Login to Give a bone

What exactly does cloudiness do?

Login to Give a bone

What exactly does cloudiness do?
    Seems to mellow-out the sun's shadows.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Anyone have any idea of what Autodesk might do once their Accurender contract is over?