Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to format a field for multi-line?

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Is there a way to format a field for multi-line?

I have a drawing name that is long and I want to break the text in a specific place, but the ssm won't allow me to use coding such as {first line of text}\p{second line of text}. Is there a way, an alternate code, you can use to get it to do a line return (ie-text break) at a specific location in the line of text?

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Is there a way to format a field for multi-line?

Hi

Are you using an MText Object as the basis of your Field Object ?

Have a good one, Mike

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is there a way to format a field for multi-line?

Once you have a field in your drawing, pick it and in your properties dialog box assign a width to it to wrap the text.

To get it to break at a certain spot I don't think you can do. I could be wrong.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by srb
    To get it to break at a certain spot I don't think you can do. I could be wrong.
    I haven't been able to find any way to do that.

At first, I though I could put a Field inside an MTEXT and have a version of the elusive multi-line attribute, and I was overjoyed. Then I discovered I couldn't control the line breaks, and I was back at square one again. They look really stupid when the last word ends up on a line by itself.

Multi-line attributes have been on my wishlist for a LONG time. Now the ability to control linebreaks in Fields is on the same list.

Login to Give a bone

please correct me if I'm wrong but that can only be done with fields that are live in the drawing, correct?

I ran into a similar roadblock when trying to automate sheet info. If the field is simply placed in the block it will not update unless you edit the block in-place and then regen. If you place the field within an attribute the field will update automatically but you are limited to one line since attributes cannot have multiple lines. So if you have a long sheet title you're up a creek. The best solution I found is to have three lines of attributes in the titleblock with the first line only containing the field. If the title is too long to fit on one line the user has to double click the block to access the attributes. Partial automation is better than no automation.

Login to Give a bone

I ran into that problem with 2006, but I thought I got it working in 2007. Maybe I'm mistaken. Even though I thought I got it to "sort of" work, it didn't work in any useful way (since I couldn't control where the lines were breaking), so I gave up on it.

I thought that was with an MTEXT inside our title block, hooked to a Sheet Set field, but maybe it wasn't. I'll poke around with it a bit more when I get a chance.

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc
    I thought that was with an MTEXT inside our title block, hooked to a Sheet Set field, but maybe it wasn't. I'll poke around with it a bit more when I get a chance.
    That is how I do it. The field ends up being one long string, but then use your properties dialog box to give it a width that will fit in the title block space requirement. But again, you can't control where it breaks.

The only other way I can think of would be to put multiple custom Sheet Set Fields (2 or 3 whatever you require) then fill them in how you want it to break.

For example:

(First line custom field) John Doe
    (Second line custom field) 100 Main Street
    (Third line custom field) Anytown, USA

That works better than:

John Doe 100
    Main Street Anytown,
    USA
    Last edited by SRBalliet; 2006-12-14 at 12:17 PM.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Those are all good ideas .... or you could try as Mike suggests and insert the field into an MText Object. I think it might work better that way - it's at least worth a shot ...
    Last edited by Rico; 2006-12-13 at 02:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Personally, in our company, our title block has 3 fields for title area. It's designed so that the drafter, upon seeing that their title has exceeded the space in the title's first line, will go to the next line and so on.

For some reason, inserting the field in an MText object is not somethign our CAD Committee wants to do even though it might be easier?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    Personally, in our company, our title block has 3 fields for title area. It's designed so that the drafter, upon seeing that their title has exceeded the space in the title's first line, will go to the next line and so on.

For some reason, inserting the field in an MText object is not somethign our CAD Committee wants to do even though it might be easier?
    No, like we've been saying, there's no way to control how the lines break inside the MTEXT. You can't include a "\P" or anything like that - it doesn't work. This can create some pretty sorry-looking title blocks.

So we do like others have been saying, and have three seperate attributes attached to three seperate Fields in the SSM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast