See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AutoCAD 2006 unable to open DWG file created in same version - Drawing file not valid

I could stop if I wanted to andy.manninen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006 unable to open DWG file created in same version - Drawing file not valid

Quote Originally Posted by gary.gentry
    Awesome! I didn't even think of that! The dwg probably was toast, but the .bak file was there. Thanks for the reminder. She says she's gonna buy me a drink for my troubles. Thanks a bunch
    (Wipes brow) Yippee for BAK files!

:Cheers:

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006 unable to open DWG file created in same version - Drawing file not valid

I have tried audit and recover. I don't know what RegApps is. Can you briefly explain? I can't open the drawing at all so how can I purge the Dwg? Thanks for the help.
    Regapps are things that third-party software tend to put into a dwg file. They tend to muck up the drawing and increase the file size unreasably. For some reason, the PURGE dialog box doesn't get rid of the little buggers, so you have to use the old typed command by typing '-PURGE' at the command prompt.

Meanwhile, a block is just like any other dwg. Sometimes, depending on the initial problem, a drawing can be intserted into a new, blank drawing, then worked on.

Additionally, a bak file is created each time you save a dwg. Unfortunately, if you go a long time between saves, the bak file won't have all the changes.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am a student and it is not my dwg. I doubt they will let me. I'll check.
    If its not your drawing, Is there a chance that this file is on a network and was opened by a different user using AutoCAD 2007? The error message is usually a higher version format being opened by a lower AutoCAD version...Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

You may wish to browse the information found in the following thread ( remember to take note of all links found within )...

Open a corrupt drawing file

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arshiel88
    If its not your drawing, Is there a chance that this file is on a network and was opened by a different user using AutoCAD 2007? The error message is usually a higher version format being opened by a lower AutoCAD version...Just a thought.
    More frequently, that message simply means you have a corrupted file, and it is now useless.

Autocad is pretty bad about corrupting files, especially with the newer verticals like Civil-3D. Vanilla isn't so bad, but the newer verticals can be pretty terrible. It's a severe problem with the software that we just seem to have to live with for the time being, and hope Autodesk fixes...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks all of you for your input. The .bak file was there and I did get it workin.. with y'alls help of course. Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12