Thread: Program to Link Square Footage Data to Excel

Login to Give a bone

Question Program to Link Square Footage Data to Excel

Currently, my department is looking to see if there is a way to have an active link from a series of Auto CAD drawing to an excel spreadsheet of the square footages. Currently, we have an excel spreadsheet that is manually updated every time a square footage is changed in an Auto CAD drawing. Does anyone know if there is a program out there that can link the data that is changed in Auto CAD to an excel spreadsheet or another document? We would like this to automatically update as the square footages are changed in the Auto CAD drawings so that we constantly have an up-to-date document that anyone can access.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Jul

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Program to Link Square Footage Data to Excel

Julie, you posted in the Hardware forum, which is for pc's, monitors, etc. Therefore I moved it to the general acad forum.

Architectural Desktop has those features built into it. If you can't upgrade to ADT, there are a couple of other things you could try. First, try using a field inside an acad table. Attached is a sample dwg. Resize the polygon in ms and do REGENALL. Watch the area field update.

You could also try DbConnect to link a plolyline's area property to a spreadsheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2006-11-29 at 10:11 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Hi,

Sorry I thought I was posting this in the General. It's been a hectic day today! I will have to research more into ADT. We have ADT but was told that the data could only be linked to one drawing file and not multiple.

Thanks,

Jul

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by julie_starzynski
    We have ADT but was told that the data could only be linked to one drawing file and not multiple.
    I was referring to using ADT schedules, not your xls. For more information in that area, you should post in the ADT forum.

Sorry, I forgot to attach the file. Check the previous post again.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2006-11-29 at 10:12 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by julie_starzynski
    Currently, my department is looking to see if there is a way to have an active link from a series of Auto CAD drawing to an excel spreadsheet of the square footages. Currently, we have an excel spreadsheet that is manually updated every time a square footage is changed in an Auto CAD drawing. Does anyone know if there is a program out there that can link the data that is changed in Auto CAD to an excel spreadsheet or another document? We would like this to automatically update as the square footages are changed in the Auto CAD drawings so that we constantly have an up-to-date document that anyone can access.
    Do you have Map? You should be able to use Map to convert the info of interest into database links, and then link the database to fields in the Excel workbook. You probably need MS Access (or maybe some other SQL database) in order to do it, but I don't really know, because I haven't actually tried to do something like that.