See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asked to supply Block libraries (Audio Visual) with a trade school, what should I do

Login to Give a bone

Question Asked to supply Block libraries (Audio Visual) with a trade school, what should I do

I have been contacted by a foreign trade school looking to develop a AutoCAD class that is specific to my industry (Audio Visual). They have requested Block libraries, I'm a little hesitant as my industry has no defined CAD standard, and many of the block libraries I've developed or received are either custom to my clients or are very proprietary to my consulting business. I would be an interesting project but I'm a bit leery any advice would help.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Asked to supply Block libraries (Audio Visual) with a trade school, what should I do

What would you get out of it?

Can everything you have set up in libraries be redrawn anyhow?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Asked to supply Block libraries (Audio Visual) with a trade school, what should I do

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    What would you get out of it?
    That's the $25,000.00 Question. I have no idea, it's not every day a asian tech school sends you an email asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    Can everything you have set up in libraries be redrawn anyhow?
    Potentially they could but most of my clients are not CAD savvy enough to do that anyways.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by avdesign
    That's the $25,000.00 Question. I have no idea, it's not every day a asian tech school sends you an email asking for help.

Potentially they could but most of my clients are not CAD savvy enough to do that anyways.
    I'd be leery... you certainly can't be sending out proprietary stuff without an NDA or secrecy agreement in place; I'm not sure how large your company is, but I am assuming you must have a legal department, or at least a company lawyer that you might want to run this by.

I would also research the school asking for this help, make sure they are legit, and not just posing as a company who would then turn around and sell your work for profit.

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    I'd be leery... you certainly can't be sending out proprietary stuff without an NDA or secrecy agreement in place; I'm not sure how large your company is, but I am assuming you must have a legal department, or at least a company lawyer that you might want to run this by.

I would also research the school asking for this help, make sure they are legit, and not just posing as a company who would then turn around and sell your work for profit.
    Yea, don't they get their own "books" in school? They should be able to learn how to make their own. Send them a link to their F1 key
    Just tell them there is no industry standard, it's the truth.

Login to Give a bone

Here is my response:

Good Morning Mr {Name Here},

Thank you for your inquiry, Vector Sketch is actively involved in educating the audio visual industry on the usefulness and power of using CAD based systems in design. If you are teaching a beginner's class to Autodesk's AutoCAD we would recommend not using specific block libraries. Instead focus on the tools and environment of AutoCAD. We would recommend sourcing approved Autodesk educational materials, finding a local reseller in {City Here}, or sourcing a local Autodesk user group affiliated with Autodesk User Group International (AUGI).We would also recommend contacting InfoComm International, or the National Systems Contractors Association (NSCA), and resourcing their educational materials.

Currently the audio visual industry has no defined CAD standard or guidelines on layer states, colors, block symbolgy, hatch patterns, etc. Many system integrators develop their own independent standard, and incorporate that as part of their design, and consider these things under their intellectual property rights. Since Vector Sketch is a service company that does design and documentation for other audio visual companies, many of the CAD resources we use fall under Non Disclosure Agreements, or are part of 3rd party software packages we run on top of AutoCAD.

We would be unable to sell block libraries, however we would be able to consult with {schools name here} on the skills and resources necessary for CAD based design in the audio visual industry.

If you have any further questions please contact us.

I think that covers it nicely

Login to Give a bone

Here is my response:

I think that covers it nicely
    Looks good.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Asked to supply Block libraries (Audio Visual) with a trade school, what should I do

Nice... very professional too.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you I word smith with the best of them.....

Login to Give a bone

Thank you I word smith with the best of them.....
    hahaha word smith. I like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast