See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: LDT2007 Format

Login to Give a bone

Default LDT2007 Format

I am running LDT 2007 and saving back to 2004 format. I have people running 2006 with LDD and are unable to open my drainings. The error message reads " Autodesk Land Desktop cannot initialize because this drawing contains objects from a newer version." Does anyone know of a fix for this? My theory is its a 07 issue of not working well with older versions.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LDT2007 Format

The fix is to stop saving down to 2004, and make everyone else upgrade to 2007.

Sorry, but that's what Autodesk decided. They REALLY want everyone off that old software. Land Desktop 2007 DWG files are not compatible with earlier versions, and exporting a 2007 drawing to 2004 format causes all your AEC objects to become dumb blocks.

If you want to send a LDD 2007 file to someone in 2004, easiest thing to do is to Export to 2004, and then also do a LandXML export of your project, and let them recreate the AEC objects in the earlier version. There is no way to seemlessly use LDD 2007 in the same environment as people on older versions.

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc
    The fix is to stop saving down to 2004, and make everyone else upgrade to 2007.

Sorry, but that's what Autodesk decided. They REALLY want everyone off that old software. Land Desktop 2007 DWG files are not compatible with earlier versions, and exporting a 2007 drawing to 2004 format causes all your AEC objects to become dumb blocks.

If you want to send a LDD 2007 file to someone in 2004, easiest thing to do is to Export to 2004, and then also do a LandXML export of your project, and let them recreate the AEC objects in the earlier version. There is no way to seemlessly use LDD 2007 in the same environment as people on older versions.
    This is true about any new dwg version. From 2004-2006 they all used the same dwg version and were [fairly] seamless in the sharing process, but if you wanted to share with someone in a newer version, it was no more seamless than from 2007 to 2004.
    The best bet is to export the .xml information and use the export to Autocad command.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ammon
    This is true about any new dwg version. From 2004-2006 they all used the same dwg version and were [fairly] seamless in the sharing process, but if you wanted to share with someone in a newer version, it was no more seamless than from 2007 to 2004.
    That isn't true at all. It's WAY more of a hassel now.

Here's just one example. In earlier versions, I could export a Land Desktop drawing to 2000 version, and it still had AEC_POINTS in it. The drawing could be opened in 2000, and the user could simply run "Check Points - Modify Project" and insert all the points into their drawing. Starting in 2007, all AEC_POINTS get converted into plain, dumb Autocad blocks, and this is not possible.

It used to be that we could save a version down to 2000, and the person receiving it would get a basically-functional drawing. They could grab points and move them, and the leader would automatically, appear, etc. But now, since they're dumb blocks, it is not possible to just move them around and have leaders automatically appear. And exploding the blocks creates a mess.

Now, if I send a drawing to someone in an older format, I have to make sure to send an XML or CSV export of the points. Then the user on the other end has to purge the useless, dumb Autocad blocks out of the drawing, and recreate the AEC_POINTS from the XML or CSV.

And then there are the issues with XML. I prefer to send XML, but some people have absolutely no idea what to do with it. On the other end, most of the time, even when I ask for XML, I don't get it. People refuse to send it, citing "liability" or some other bogus mumbo-jumbo, or they don't know what it is or how to generate it. Plus, XML doesn't always work, because despite the LandXML consortium, different companies are still doing different things with LandXML. For example, a LandXML export from Land Desktop may not go into, say, Bentley Civil, without tweaking on the user's end. So I STILL get users calling me and asking me to send them 3D-Lines and CSV Point exports, even when I send them the XML.

Then there are the issues with XML and US Survey Feet vs. International Feet. Land Desktop does not handle that issue correctly by default. It works, but the user has to be careful about what they're doing. If people don't have the US Survey Foot vs. Internation Foot issue straight, they can really screw up the XML exports and imports. You may argue that everyone should be learning about XML, and I would agree, but Autodesk's heavy-handed manner of forcing the issue is not appreciated by the user base.

In short, its WAY more of a hassel now. And the really bad part is that it is NOT REQUIRED BY THE SOFTWARE DESIGN. It was a concious decision made by Autodesk, when they had other options available. Autodesk made NO CHANGES to Land Desktop's functionality, so there was no reason to do this to points. This incompatibilty issue is one of Autodesk's more-bonehead maneuvers. It's given their competitors lots of marketing gas - I've been seeing lots of ads lately from Autodesk competitors who promise they will never do something like this. Once again, Autodesk is making their own bad press.

About the only good thing about this issue is that it's training Land Desktop users in some of the hassels they will encounter when trying to use files created in Civil-3D...

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc
    About the only good thing about this issue is that it's training Land Desktop users in some of the hassels they will encounter when trying to use files created in Civil-3D...
    You're quite the cynic. Why sit and complain about it?

Login to Give a bone

I want to save from Civil 3D 2007 to use in Civil 3D 2006. Can this be done?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ammon
    You're quite the cynic. Why sit and complain about it?
    Cynicism has nothing to do with it. It's more frustration.

As an early-adopter of 2007 software, I've now explained XML at least 50 times to people. Responses range from "Thank you for the hassle, Autodesk", to "XML? Huh? Can you just send me a CSV file?".

The best one was just a couple of weeks ago, when I sent someone an eTransmit (zip) and an XML export of a job. The response was "Please resend the files in DWG format."

But like I said, it's forcing people to learn to deal with XML, so they won't be thrown so much when they start trying to use Civil-3D drawings in Land Desktop. That doesn't mean I appreciate the fact that I've been forced to spend so much time explaining XML to people, just because we did what Autodesk wanted and moved to the latest version of their software.