Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block Implementation and "Authoring Palettes" Vs "Tool Palettes"?

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Dynamic Block Implementation and "Authoring Palettes" Vs "Tool Palettes"?

To all you DB aces, and TP aces, I have found a new "thing" and may need some info if anyone has it.
    We are using 2006. I have 3 main drawings (read only to everyone except cad team) from which I drag and drop dynamic blocks to various tool palettes. My path is to the server, and I just found something "new" to me. An Authoring Palette. So, I made a new folder on the server, and re-pathed my support path to there. Well, of course the tools for dynamic blocks themselves disappeared (I found them on my local and copied them there). Also, I found myself with two sets of the same palettes. One on a regular palette, one in the same palette as "Block Authoring". I noticed also, that the regular tool palette had a gray LOCK icon. I figured out, that, (deep breath). If I export from the AUTHORING PALETTE to the server, when I repath someone elses computer to there, it makes theirs read only, and it loaded every one of the palettes I have there, (Bonus!) including all of the palette groups complete. Which is what we want, right?
    I believe I could be doing something good here, am not sure if I am using it correctly. I would prefer to NOT have to reload each improvement to each palette manually. It stinks. Any info, or links pertaining specifically to the use of the block authoring palette as a master export would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block Implementation and "Authoring Palettes" Vs "Tool Palettes"?

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    To all you DB aces, and TP aces, I have found a new "thing" and may need some info if anyone has it.
    We are using 2006. I have 3 main drawings (read only to everyone except cad team) from which I drag and drop dynamic blocks to various tool palettes. My path is to the server, and I just found something "new" to me. An Authoring Palette. So, I made a new folder on the server, and re-pathed my support path to there. Well, of course the tools for dynamic blocks themselves disappeared (I found them on my local and copied them there). Also, I found myself with two sets of the same palettes. One on a regular palette, one in the same palette as "Block Authoring". I noticed also, that the regular tool palette had a gray LOCK icon. I figured out, that, (deep breath). If I export from the AUTHORING PALETTE to the server, when I repath someone elses computer to there, it makes theirs read only, and it loaded every one of the palettes I have there, (Bonus!) including all of the palette groups complete. Which is what we want, right?
    I believe I could be doing something good here, am not sure if I am using it correctly. I would prefer to NOT have to reload each improvement to each palette manually. It stinks. Any info, or links pertaining specifically to the use of the block authoring palette as a master export would be appreciated.
    um, from what i can tell, you DON'T want to mess w/ the 'Authoring Palette', it's specifically for use in the Block Editor.

as for others to use, i haven't figured that one out either, yet. it's on my 'near future' goal list.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block Implementation and "Authoring Palettes" Vs "Tool Palettes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    um, from what i can tell, you DON'T want to mess w/ the 'Authoring Palette', it's specifically for use in the Block Editor.

as for others to use, i haven't figured that one out either, yet. it's on my 'near future' goal list.
    Yea, I figured out if I repath the authoring palette, i lose all of the tools to make dynamic blocks with! luckily autocad put this info in a different file (AcApCatalog.atc i think) than the tp. I am having "different" luck with this today. LOL

I am not changing anything to the dynamic block tool palettes, just adding to and exporting from... we'll see how this goes or not. I just want to try and make the other users' stuff read-only.
    Last edited by sschwartz; 2006-12-05 at 05:44 PM. Reason: more info

Login to Give a bone

ok scratch this idea. LOL

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

ok scratch this idea. LOL
    good try though.

trial and error is a great way to discover new techniques within CAD. So keep on keep keepin on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    good try though.

trial and error is a great way to discover new techniques within CAD. So keep on keep keepin on.
    Thanks
    I will keep info posted as I accidentally "discover" it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks
    I will keep info posted as I accidentally "discover" it.
    some accidents are good to share!! hopefully, you know which ones shouldn't....
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    some accidents are good to share!! hopefully, you know which ones shouldn't....
    (Nice "hat?" "hair?" "bonnet?" by the way)
    Ok, this is interesting...

My path to write the TPs is set to the server. I make them, export them, etc. I have the read/write rights, along with other cad nazi's here. (and I use that term LOOSELY)

When I update a certain TP, I need to delete the folder with the same name (i.e. Lighting Demolition folder AND Lighting Demolition.xtp exist. To update, delete the Lighting Demolition folder (thru windows explorer), and then export the way you normally would. It recreates the folder you need. If you don't delete it, it creates "Lighting Demolition_2" which is the most up to date, while others are using the first one...

THEN, this is the interesting part. I went to one of my coworkers (aka guinea pigs) computers, and removed the LOCAL path to the previously manually imported tool palettes, and browsed to the one on the server. It automatically loaded all of the exported TPs, and from their pc, I could drag and drop any groups. The best part is, (so far, as best as I can tell) the little "lock" icon is still there! (It remains as long as I don't try to manually import from THEIR machine.)

Theoretically,... after I update a toolpalette, they just need to exit out of autocad and reopen the program to get the update. I think. I hope. (pretty pretty please??)

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

(Nice "hat?" "hair?" "bonnet?" by the way)
    Ok, this is interesting...

My path to write the TPs is set to the server. I make them, export them, etc. I have the read/write rights, along with other cad nazi's here. (and I use that term LOOSELY)

When I update a certain TP, I need to delete the folder with the same name (i.e. Lighting Demolition folder AND Lighting Demolition.xtp exist. To update, delete the Lighting Demolition folder (thru windows explorer), and then export the way you normally would. It recreates the folder you need. If you don't delete it, it creates "Lighting Demolition_2" which is the most up to date, while others are using the first one...

THEN, this is the interesting part. I went to one of my coworkers (aka guinea pigs) computers, and removed the LOCAL path to the previously manually imported tool palettes, and browsed to the one on the server. It automatically loaded all of the exported TPs, and from their pc, I could drag and drop any groups. The best part is, (so far, as best as I can tell) the little "lock" icon is still there! (It remains as long as I don't try to manually import from THEIR machine.)

Theoretically,... after I update a toolpalette, they just need to exit out of autocad and reopen the program to get the update. I think. I hope. (pretty pretty please??)
    i'm still ahving issues with that ... if a co-worker opens a TP from the server location, for some reason they are still able to edit, copy and - more alarming - delete the contents of said TP .... am I not doing something right?

can someone post a list (1,2,3) of instructions for making a TP read-only?

I think I have most of it, just not sure why it's not working ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    i'm still ahving issues with that ... if a co-worker opens a TP from the server location, for some reason they are still able to edit, copy and - more alarming - delete the contents of said TP .... am I not doing something right?

can someone post a list (1,2,3) of instructions for making a TP read-only?

I think I have most of it, just not sure why it's not working ...
    Well... unfortunately, one of the blocks (the way cool bookoo lighting block) I made some updates to it, deleting erroneous lookups, improvements, etc. With my version of using a single file for dragging and dropping, I have to figure out a way to update existing drawings.... ew! So this is a small (large) problem for me solve.

As long as someone doesn't import a tp manually, the locked ones prevent this from happening (I just tested it). The file (folder) I am using has user rights. It did open the file, but in read-only mode. (a good thing). But, that needs to have write-rights assigned or something. The only other way I can think of, is to keep that file open forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast