Thread: ABS 2007 - Creating/Annotating Views - Problem

Login to Give a bone

Default ABS 2007 - Creating/Annotating Views - Problem

First question...when I create elevations or sections the view won't show up in a New Drawing only in the Current Drawing. If I select new Drawing it creates the view on the sheet set but when you open it there's just a boundary box not an actual view of the model. So for now I'm just creating views in the current drawing until I figure that out.

Second question...How do you annotate views? I have my model xref'd into a sheet and I'm able to annotate the model, I get tooltips displaying size, system, elevation etc, but when I cut a section/elevation I don't get any tooltips. Views are essentially blocks right? When picked the whole view is highlighted like it's a block and the annotation tools don't recognize anything in the view.

On a previous project I would just look at the model in different views through my viewport and annotate it myself in Paper Space. I'm really trying to utilize the full capabilities of ABS after attending AU-06'. I just keep running into little things. I had to create views on this project with extents (distance) of what I'm looking at due to complexity of the piping system.

Thank You,
    Tommy

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ABS 2007 - Creating/Annotating Views - Problem

I don't think this is the answer, but you might look into it just in case.
    I assume you are using Project Navigator? I have not been using it so I'm not sure why you can't get it dropping into a new drawing. I would question whether or not you had the "correct" display configuration set as current in order to view the section.

What's strange to me with the section cuts I've tried is if I want to delete the section, I can click on the "block" of the section and erase it and then erase the actual section cut line/label. The issue is the dotted line around the automatically drawn section cut stays in my drawing. I can't get rid of it. Why?

Sorry I'm not a lot of help. But I thought I'd add to the questions.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ameador
    What's strange to me with the section cuts I've tried is if I want to delete the section, I can click on the "block" of the section and erase it and then erase the actual section cut line/label. The issue is the dotted line around the automatically drawn section cut stays in my drawing. I can't get rid of it. Why?
    I'm still working on Tommy's problem but to answer your question. When you create a section a view is created. If you go to VIEW - NAMED VIEWS and delete the section views the dashed lines will no longer show up.

Hope this helps,

I'll look into the other issues later.
    (For some reason the boss expects to work on his stuff too.)
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ameador
    I don't think this is the answer, but you might look into it just in case.
    I assume you are using Project Navigator? I have not been using it so I'm not sure why you can't get it dropping into a new drawing. I would question whether or not you had the "correct" display configuration set as current in order to view the section.

Sorry I'm not a lot of help. But I thought I'd add to the questions.
    I am using P.Nav. Though the dwgs were originally created in acad04', then I just created a Sheet Set in ABS 2007and "Import current layout as sheet" for all the drawings. Most of the drawings are 2D, but I still created the sheet set to try to utilize the eTransmit features and publish features. I have the whole system drawn in 2D and then I created a model to get some "automatic" sections so I didn't have to draw each view/section. I'm not completey on ABS yet, I'm doing little things here and there until I figure ABS out then I'll do everything in ABS.

Speaking of publish is there a way to make pdf's instead of dwfs? Sorry to add a question to a list of questions already.
    Last edited by thartman.115388; 2006-12-07 at 06:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thartman.115388
    Second question...How do you annotate views? I have my model xref'd into a sheet and I'm able to annotate the model, I get tooltips displaying size, system, elevation etc, but when I cut a section/elevation I don't get any tooltips. Views are essentially blocks right? When picked the whole view is highlighted like it's a block and the annotation tools don't recognize anything in the view.
    Assuming that ABS creates sections and elevations the same way that ADT does, the section or elevation generated is a hidden line projection of the model, and the graphics generated are no longer ducts, pipes, walls, etc, but mere linework. So far as I know, you would have to do your annotation the old-fashioned way.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=stelthorst]I'm still working on Tommy's problem but to answer your question. When you create a section a view is created. If you go to VIEW - NAMED VIEWS and delete the section views the dashed lines will no longer show up.QUOTE]

That works! Thank you so much. I've been wondering about that for quite awhile. It hasn't been an emergency question, but it seemed to fit this topic pretty well.

As for thartman.115388's question: I've asked the same question about .pdf's instead of .dwf's. The response I have received was pretty much no b/c the .dwf's are theoretically better/easier. We have customers that require .pdf's and I'm not exactly sure what our company is planning on doing about that yet.

Thanks again to you all!