Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Blocks in a master library drawing, is it the best method

Login to Give a bone

Question Dynamic Blocks in a master library drawing, is it the best method

When I put the blocks in a master library drawing, it is easier to manipulate and create Dynamic Blocks, correct?

However, when BEDIT-ing a block from this library when used in another drawing, those changes are NOT reflected back into the master. Only the SAME blocks in the current drawing. Now I have to WBLOCK back to the original library file.

So why was that NOT mentioned in Matt Murphy's class. He stated - "Do not use WBLOCK"

This has been a frustrating contradiction. I make changes to a Dynamic Block expecting it to show up the next time and I have to do it again. We make minor changes to blocks all the time and now I have to open yet another file to edit the block and hope that it gets pushed through to the drawing I'm working on. Maybe that can be an option-
    "Save to Original Source?" type of deal.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks in a master library drawing, is it the best method

by master library drawing, you mean one file that contains multiple blocks correct? if this is the case, then yes, wblocking back to it would be a pain. the other option is to give each block its own file, that way when you wblock a change, you update the master block - which carries over to tool palettes (which may or may not show up until cad is restarted) and the changes are there the next time you need to access that block.

the decision to use a master file, or give each block its own file seems to be one of the big discussion points when it comes to setting up a block library. each has its own benefits and drawbacks. its just a matter of deciding which works best for your situation and going with it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    . ...the other option is to give each block its own file, that way when you wblock a change, you update the master block - which carries over to tool palettes (which may or may not show up until cad is restarted) and the changes are there the next time you need to access that block.
    THAT didn't work right either... We started out that way since we had a LOT of blocks and we didn't have the time or the desire to create master library drawings. There were all kinds of issues using them as individual files. Too many to really go over at the moment. But now that the master/Bedit/wblock scenario seems to be working okay, we'll stick with that.

Thanks for the help...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rgorman
    When I put the blocks in a master library drawing, it is easier to manipulate and create Dynamic Blocks, correct?

However, when BEDIT-ing a block from this library when used in another drawing, those changes are NOT reflected back into the master. Only the SAME blocks in the current drawing. Now I have to WBLOCK back to the original library file.

So why was that NOT mentioned in Matt Murphy's class. He stated - "Do not use WBLOCK"

This has been a frustrating contradiction. I make changes to a Dynamic Block expecting it to show up the next time and I have to do it again. We make minor changes to blocks all the time and now I have to open yet another file to edit the block and hope that it gets pushed through to the drawing I'm working on. Maybe that can be an option-
    I don't agree w/ Matt on this part of the DB library issue. i'm constantly making upgrades to my standard DB's and WBLOCKing them back to the Network library folder is WAY easier than making/ updating/ coordinating blocks in a master library in my opinion.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

But would you agree that a "Save to Original Source File" option to eliminate the WBLOCK step would be wicked cool, or what?

Where is that wish list?....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    by master library drawing, you mean one file that contains multiple blocks correct? if this is the case, then yes, wblocking back to it would be a pain. the other option is to give each block its own file, that way when you wblock a change, you update the master block - which carries over to tool palettes (which may or may not show up until cad is restarted) and the changes are there the next time you need to access that block.

the decision to use a master file, or give each block its own file seems to be one of the big discussion points when it comes to setting up a block library. each has its own benefits and drawbacks. its just a matter of deciding which works best for your situation and going with it.
    when i update our standards in the near future, i'm going to be re-organizing my 'individual' DB file library into 'category' folders. it should help organize them a bit more, and keep the ease of constant upgrade that i'm used to.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

THAT didn't work right either... We started out that way since we had a LOT of blocks and we didn't have the time or the desire to create master library drawings. There were all kinds of issues using them as individual files. Too many to really go over at the moment. But now that the master/Bedit/wblock scenario seems to be working okay, we'll stick with that.

Thanks for the help...
    how many people do you have editing blocks? imo - your 'standards' blocks should be read only except for one or two people who actually make changes to them as needed. this keeps joe average user from making a stupid change that messes up the block for your other users. regular blocks can be edited by whomever with no real isses that ive seen, but we have a small firm (6 total) and its not a big issue, since im really the only person who makes them anyways.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

I disagree with the "Do not use WBLOCK" thing ....

I think WBlock is one of the quintessential tools of DBs ..... if you know how to use it right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Personally, I have all my blocks divided into separate files.

They are split according (right now) to metric, imperial and unitless blocks.

I might divide them further into category blocks, like Chris has mentioned. But since we're still in the infancy of using DBs here, I won't overcomplicate things for myself until absolutely necessary.

It's easier to find the blocks through DC this way. And the files themselves are tiny in size.

And that's the one drawback of having a "master file" - drawing size, IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    I disagree with the "Do not use WBLOCK" thing ....

I think WBlock is one of the quintessential tools of DBs ..... if you know how to use it right.
    And actually, come to think of it ..... the way that I use separate files and WBlock is different from what Chris uses it as.

Personally, all my blocks are separate files, but not ... erm .... block files. So that way, when I open the drawing, I can see it in modelspace and CHOOSE to go into BE to edit it. That way, when I go back into MSpace, I can see right away whether the changes I made to the block work or not.

The way that a lot of people here are doign is that they are WBlocking as a block file and when the file is selected to open, it only opens in BE. That's not necessarily the best choice as far as troubleshooting IMHO ... makes things more cumbersome ....

but, to each his reach. If it makes you happy then you go, boy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast