Thread: My advice for anybody buying a TFT

Login to Give a bone

Finally I bought a Samsung 17'' TFT for 520 Euro. Before buying, I searched Usenet archives regarding TFT issues, so I was aware that you can't trust any brand at all (all computer brands have become really miserable nowadays), so I decided to buy it in a very reputable shop where I know they'll return your money if you're not satisfied with the purchase.

Then it happened: My TFT had a green dead pixel in a noticeable area (not the screen center, although very noticeable for CAD work with the green pixel always there). According to the standards of top brands like Sony, my monitor would qualify as superb. Fortunately, my previous Usenet searching warned me that such "quality standards" are unworthy of any reputation nor respect.

My decision of buying the TFT at a reputable shop was the only possible solution to this problem. I came back, explained them that I couldn't do any CAD work with that pixel there, and they changed my monitor with another one. They even tested it to be confident that this time there were no dead pixels.

So I now have a monitor with all pixels "alive". And I should be happy, although I keep some sadness because I suppose that my previous monitor will be sold again to other customers (they exchanged the monitors only, not the boxes nor manuals, cables, etc). That's the world/economy we live in. A shame.

If you're buying a new TFT, I highly recommend that you get it from the most reputable shop you know, even if it's a bit more expensive there. Buy it at some place where you know they'll return your money if you're not 100% happy.

Hope this advice might help somebody!

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: My advice for anybody buying a TFT

Great Advice, I'll keep it in mind when I go to buy my TFT.

moving to hardware...
    Chris
    SOM | New York