Thread: Revising the location of sheet set files

Login to Give a bone

Question Revising the location of sheet set files

I have recently reorganised the folder in which all our sheet set files are stored.
    Due to the increasing number of files i have broken them down in to groups, i.e. all the 6000 series, 7000 series etc, and placed them within sub folders within the main sheet set folder.
    I can still open the files and open individual drawings, change properties etc, however all the icons have a question mark over them, and i have noticed that a few drawings seem to have lost their connectivity to the properties.

The property giving the path to the sheet set file has changed automatically within all the dst files i have opened so far.

Is there something i should have done to the files before moving them or can i somehow refresh them, so that these problems are cured.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Neil S E Foden

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revising the location of sheet set files

The little question mark means that the file is either not found or that the file is found in the wrong location... Maybe you should be doing your reorganisation from inside the sheet set manager, without moving the source files?

You can refresh the sheet list by clicking on the recycle icon next to the display arrows, or you can refresh where the sheet set manager is reading the sheet list from by clicking on the model views tab and hitting the refresh icon next to the add new location icon.

You could also right click on the sheet set icon in the sheets box of the sheets list and choose 'resave all sheets'

Phew,

I've never seen the question marks before! Let me know if any of those worked!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

a quick experiment has shown me that the way to re-associate a sheet with a file is to right click on the sheet and choose 'properties' and then browse to the folder that you have moved you file to. This is pretty time consuming.

You can re-import by deleting you sheets and choosing 'import layout as sheet' but you may need to re-organise and number your sheets.

Both these options sound painfull, I would be interested to hear if you find any other methods. I think that the moral may be to leave your files where they are and just use the sheet set manager to organise your files....

Login to Give a bone

You've run into a long-standing problem in Autocad. Autodesk sorely needs to add project-management functionality to Vanilla Autocad. Currently, they're trying to band-aid it into the verticals in inappropriate ways using things like Vault, and completely ignoring the need for PM in Vanilla.

There's no good solution that I know of. Just learn from past experience, try to plan for the future, and hope for the best...

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Revising the location of sheet set files

Thanks for the advice Pablo, all of which i have tried.
    The only way that seems to completely re-associate the drawing files with the sheet set is to remove them, then re import them, but as you noted i then need to re enter all the field information for each drawing, which is very time consuming.

I can move the .dst files back to there original location, which also solves my problem of the question mark, however, due to the increasing number of .dst files we have i need to be able to sub divide the original directory where they are stored so that it is easier to find a particular file, which is what i tried to do, and i realise now in hind sight that i should have planned for this at the start.

Does anyone know if there is a way of saving a .dst file to a new location so that it retains all its associations, or is this as Sinc stated, a problem with AutoCAD.