See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Making walls in plan black without using cut fills

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Making walls in plan almost black (very dark) without using cut fills

I think this is a worthy technique that might come in handy if you're already using the coarse fill parameter with other fills, such as to show fire-rating, but still need to show walls with a black fiil for presentation plans and don't want to resort to unBIM-like solutions.

a) Make a 3d view and go to View-->Orient --> To Other View and select the plan view you want.
    b) Set your view to Shading with Edges (SD).
    c) Go to Advanced Model Graphics (AG), check Cast Shadows and set the Sun and Shadow intensity to zero.
    d) Now go to Sun and Shadow Settings and set tthe Altitute and Azimuth to zero (remember to create a new still setting so you don't mess up any presets you might have).

You should now have a "plan" view with black walls. Now just overlay this over your colored plan view on a sheet and you're done, without sacrificing the "BIMness" of your model and retaining your original wall cut fill patterns for all detail levels in the process.
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2006-12-13 at 02:56 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Making walls in plan black without using cut fills

This seems to work for the first floor, although the fill for the walls is navy and my windows are now grey. The problem I'm running into is on the upper floors where I want to show just that floor, nothing below it, and I can't control the view extents from a 3d view.

How did you get this to work for a multiple story building?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccamcwilliams
    This seems to work for the first floor, although the fill for the walls is navy and my windows are now grey.
    Well, when I tried this the first time, I was on my laptop screen and it was a little dark so it seemed black. It's not, but is very dark and I think it'll be perceived as black when printed. For some reason, there still seems to be some ambient light!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccamcwilliams
    The problem I'm running into is on the upper floors where I want to show just that floor, nothing below it, and I can't control the view extents from a 3d view.

How did you get this to work for a multiple story building?
    Orient the 3d view by the plan view that you want. It should correct the extents through the section box according to the view range of the view. If you still need to tweak it for some reason (depending on your view range settings, the section box might go higher and/or lower than you need it to), spin the model in the 3d view and change the top and bottom of the section box to suit your needs. Then orient to TOP and make sure you turn off the floor category so they don't show up and you can overlay this view over a floor plan view with a color fill and it will show through.

As for the issue of windows, that was an oversight on my side But you could do a couple of things. First, I'd turn the windows and curtainwalls off in the 3d view. You might be able to raise the bottom of your section box to cut through the windows. If that can work, then you overlay this view over your color-filled plan, the windows will show through as white. If you have windows at varying heights, you'll have to do another plan view and turn on just windows and overlay this third plan over the previous 2.

As you can see it has its pitfalls, but it is doable if you can live with ALMOST black (very dark) walls. Now how can I turn off that ambient light?!

Login to Give a bone

if you make the view a shaded view, then you can have the cut fill whatever color you want, and if you have color for the surfaces you don't want to see, then override the surfacecolor to be white. (by default, the color of a cut, when in shaded view is set to the color of the material "poche") and this way you don't need shadows...but the view must be set to course

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean by that. Wall layers show up with whatever color is assigned to the layer material. The problem with having black filled walls is that if you set your coarse view fill to some other pattern (for instance some users use plan views set to coarse to show fire ratings by assigning special fill hatches to their walls), then you cannot have solid black walls without having to temporarily change the coarse fill, printing, and then changing all walls back.

So my "tip" is to use a 3D view, orienting to your plan view and making the light source horizontal, which in essence makes all walls look very dark in a shaded view. The problem is with windows, as described above, although there is a workaround. Also, there seems to be some ambient light when you use this technique and that's why you don't get perfectly solid black walls.

Login to Give a bone

You must of missed the part of the "Shaded view" while in a 3d view, using "poche" material and course view.....introduced, I believe with 7.0? maybe just a little earlier?

So it doesn't matter what each specific wall is set to, when in 3d and in "shaded view" the section of "each" material will assume the color of the "poche" material...unless you tell it to be a different material.

When in 3d view, check the "view property" then "Edit/New" ttaking you inside the "type" parameter for the 3d view...you will see a material set to "poche"...check the material settings....controlling the properties of this material will cause ALL the cuts in your 3d view to be that specific color....

Try it...or give me a call tomorrow at work....

Ciao Bellissimo!

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    Hmmm I'm not sure what you mean by that. Wall layers show up with whatever color is assigned to the layer material. The problem with having black filled walls is that if you set your coarse view fill to some other pattern (for instance some users use plan views set to coarse to show fire ratings by assigning special fill hatches to their walls), then you cannot have solid black walls without having to temporarily change the coarse fill, printing, and then changing all walls back.

So my "tip" is to use a 3D view, orienting to your plan view and making the light source horizontal, which in essence makes all walls look very dark in a shaded view. The problem is with windows, as described above, although there is a workaround. Also, there seems to be some ambient light when you use this technique and that's why you don't get perfectly solid black walls.

Login to Give a bone

Wohooo! I never even knew that existed lol!! Ok, scrap my tip and follow Luigi's instructions.....change the poche material and then overlay that on your color filled view as before.

Grazie Maestro!

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Making walls in plan black without using cut fills

I may have missed something with the "using the coarse fill parameters" part, so forgive me if this is not right. It seems to me that you can use the "Override Model Patterns" Section of the Visibility/Graphic Overrides for a view to do this without having to create and orient 3D views (although that is a handy technique in a lot of places)

Even when I have already set the coarse fill in some of my wall assemblies to specific colors (I think that's what David was talking about) this override seems let me pick a color that overrides that "coarse fill color" setting of the wall(s) for this view only. Doing it view by view is nice because I can still have some drawings with one scheme, and others can just be filled in solid black (or whatever.)
    Last edited by david.fannon; 2006-12-14 at 10:42 PM.

Login to Give a bone

But that's the point....you cannot override the pattern, only the color. The only viable way is to make a 3D view and orient it to your plan view, and use the poche settings as explained by Luigi.

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Great tip guys!

Justin