Thread: Civil 3D 2007 - How does file structure and standards relate to Civil 3D

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D 2007 - How does file structure and standards relate to Civil 3D

I need some ideas for file structure and how things relate in Civil 3D 2007. Currently we are working with 2005.

I also need some help with justifying CAD Standards and a Corporate CAD Manager and the importance of these items as it relates to Civil 3D and 2007. I am having a bit of difficulty relaying this information to management. Most of managment who makes these decisions do not work with the program and don't consult the end users. I need to find a way to remedy this and try and get us moving in the right direction before we fall too far behind.

Thank you for any imput you may have.

EmilyL

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D 2007 - How does file structure and standards relate to Civil 3D

Hi EmilyL

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD 2007 3D forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D 2007 - How does file structure and standards relate to Civil 3D

Search the Cadalyst website for articles written by Robert Green. He has a wealth of information on justifying the position of CAD Manager and the need for company standards.

Login to Give a bone

It doesn't seem like this should be much of a battle in Civil-3D.

A huge amount of what used to be covered in Standards now happens basically automatically, assuming you have setup your layers and styles in your drawing template(s). It takes quite a bit of work to get the styles where you want them, but then your users should basically be able to just work, and select styles as-needed. The individual users should, in general, not be creating new styles. This accomplishes at least 75% of what standards typically accomplish.

With C3D, Standards tend to "just happen". That's the way it should be. Users work in the easiest way possible, and they automatically follow the standards, because it's more work to violate them.

You still have a few things to decide, though, such as directory structure and file naming conventions. But it should be very apparent to the higher-ups that a standard procedure is beneficial for these items.