Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lineweights

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Lineweights

ok I have almost wrapped up my DD package and I just meet with the architect.
    The biggest problem that he had over and over again was with lineweights.
    The title sheet and the floor plans look great but....
    The site plan and the elevations the lines are way too thin. It does not pop!
    On the sections the lineweights are way to thick
    My floor plans and elevations are at 1/8"
    The sections are at 1/4"

The stud and finish are bleeding together on the sections
    How can I make the section lineweights thiner.

His title block and title sheet normally have a big fat 1/4" thick line on it.
    But with rivit the thickest detail line that I can do is like a .025
    How can I get thicker drafting lines.

How can I get the site plan and elevations to have thicker linework.
    I need the outline of the sections to be thick.

He also wants the outline of the building to be a hidden line on the site plan.
    How can I do that? If I turn on the walls then its a double line?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lineweights

I suggest you turn to the help file. Most of these questions are basic and they're explained well in there. It would take too long to type all the answers here. These forums are mainly helpful for questions that are not answered in the standard Revit help. Give it a shot and come back if something doesn't make sense.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

ok I figured out the linework button
    But I am wondering is the only way to change lines one line at a time?
    How can I change all of my say stud lines to a thiner line.
    Clicking one line at a time does not seem like a very BIM process.

Login to Give a bone

Noooo! Don't use the linework tool. First of all, go to Settings and check your line weights there....in Revit you have 16 line weights for Annotations and 16 line weights for model elements and each one can be mapped to a different thickness according to scale. Now, once you set this (you might leave the default settings first), then go to your Object Styles and there you can set line weights for each object. You'll have settings for Projection lines and Cut lines. This is a global setting and will affect all views. You seldom override these lineweights in each view. Once more, read through the help file about any of the items I just described.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree. Look into settings/line weights and settings/object styles. I'm responsible for designing a default template that meets office standards, and we intend to assign colors to line weights (using object styles).

A great reference can be found here.

Login to Give a bone

Right out of the box the line weights don't make much sense to me. I have completely reworked them for our office's needs. The only problem is that line weights are hard-coded in the default settings when you open a family object; they do not 'import' the ones from your template or project file. This results in an annoying discrepancy between your new office standards and Revit's default pen weights.
    See the attached thumbnail as an example...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Bimmer
    Right out of the box the line weights don't make much sense to me. I have completely reworked them for our office's needs. The only problem is that line weights are hard-coded in the default settings when you open a family object; they do not 'import' the ones from your template or project file. This results in an annoying discrepancy between your new office standards and Revit's default pen weights.
    See the attached thumbnail as an example...
    However you can use "Transfer Project Standards" to load your settings of lineweights and object styles from a project into a family. (Always keep that default Project 1 open in the background in Revit and you'll be able to do this very quickly.)

However, you don't typically need to worry about how things look in a family as long as the object styles and materials are named correctly. The existing project will always override the family settings. The only exception would be if the object style didn't exist - the family would generate the style upon load. But this is easily changed after the fact in the project.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    ...you don't typically need to worry about how things look in a family as long as the object styles and materials are named correctly.
    Thanks for the pointers, Aaron. It's one of those things I have been meaning to do but just don't get around to. Of course, every time I edit a family object it bugs me. You'd think I'd bite the bullet and just fix the problem, right?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Bimmer
    . I have completely reworked them for our office's needs.

Would you mind explaining a little more how you did this and what you have learned? We have been implementing Revit for the past 5 months and need to work on our lineweights. I'd appreciate any input.

Patrick

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pcore
    Would you mind explaining a little more how you did this and what you have learned?
    First of all, I wanted more range in the thinner line weights. Revit's out-of-the-box settings are too heavy in my opinion. Unfortunately Revit cannot go thinner than 0.003", so that's where I started. Years ago in AutoCAD we determined that increments of 0.003" were readily distinguishable on a printed sheet, so line weights started being 0.003", 0.006", 0.009", etc. Since Revit has 16 weights to play with, I added the in-between values in 0.0015" increments, allowing for a little more flexibility. Once up into the higher pens, I go back to the 0.003" increments. I use a scale as my base reference (say 1/4"=1'-0" for example) and adjust other scales accordingly. The pen weights in 1/16"=1'-0" stay with 0.003" much longer until you get higher in the pen numbers, thus keeping things lighter in that scale.

Take a look at the attached screenshot to see what I am talking about. Let me know if you have any questions/comments...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast