Thread: Large file size with ole objects

Login to Give a bone

Default Large file size with ole objects

When I inset a small OLE object say 50k the .dwg file saves at like 5mb+.

I do save as from another drawing that had ole objects in it and use cut (because it won't let me delete or erase them) to remove the old ole objects from the drawing. Then I insert the new objects. But I currently have a file that is 28mb that only has an object that is only 71kb in it.

I have tried to purge everything and even deleted layer filters but the file size only reduced 1-2kb

any help appreciated,

Dznytoy (Jarred)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Large file size with ole objects

Also, I currently have a drawing that is 28 MB with the 50 kb OLE Object. When I remove the object the file size is 270kb. Any ideas out there. I have tried to reduce the size of ole object inside of AutoCAD but this does not change the size of the drawing file.

Any help is appreciated.

Dznytoy (Jarred)

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

From what application are you brining the OLE into ACAD? It might be that it converts the "image" into something like a WMF (Picture Metafile), EMF (Enhanced Metafile) or even at worst Bitmap. The reason it does this is that if you embed the OLE it needs to be able to display it even if that other program isn't installed. It all depends on how the other program places the data on the clipboard - that's what AutoCAD's got to work with, so if that's in a space hungry format then AC can't do much about it.

If you're sure that all other PC's will have the other program installed, then rather Link than Embed. Edit --> Paste Special ... and check the "Paste Link" radio button. Just remember to send both the DWG and the other app's file if you give it to someone else to use.

Login to Give a bone

Actually you are right about that. I bring in files from both adobe and paint when I goto insert>ole object>either adobe or bitmap.

Can't they make AC not make such large files since most people run a PC which means everyone should have paint and most people use some sort of pdf reader.

But thank you for the answer because now it make perfect since.
    Last edited by dznytoy.183015; 2008-05-22 at 08:00 PM. Reason: forgot something

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Which Adobe? PhotoShop? ... then just expect enormous files ... our PhotoShop files sometimes go up to 5 GB (so what you're complaining about is maybe not that bad). Try saving as to a JPG (or even TIFF would be better), then insert as image instead of OLE.

Or paste as Picture - not sure what format this is, but probably something like JPG???

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Which Adobe? PhotoShop? ... then just expect enormous files ... our PhotoShop files sometimes go up to 5 GB (so what you're complaining about is maybe not that bad). Try saving as to a JPG (or even TIFF would be better), then insert as image instead of OLE.

Or paste as Picture - not sure what format this is, but probably something like JPG???
    Adobe Acrobat (.pdf files). And most of the images I insert with MSPaint are in .tif format.

Thanks,
    Dznytoy (Jarred)