Thread: Feedback needed on linking Revit Structure

Login to Give a bone

Default Feedback needed on linking Revit Structure

I initially had the structural elements (beams, columns, braces) modelled in my Revit Building file. The structural engineer i am working with started implementing Revit Structure at the beginning of DD and after he copied/monitored the structural elements and worked on them, he sent his model back to me. I deleted all structural columns, beams, and floors from my model and linked his model. The Linked structural columns, beams, and braces are OK, but linked floors don't clean to the Revit building walls. i ended up keeping the architectural floors and turning off the engineer's Revit structure Slab.
    Is there a better practice to deal with this issue?
    In addition structural framing members only show up in medium level detail. do i have to ask my structural engineer to adjust his families so i can see the braces in sections, elevations, and plans at coarse level details?

Thanks in advance for any input, it was really cool to meet a lot of you guys at this year's AU, my first - Mo

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Feedback needed on linking Revit Structure

First, the easy one. To show the structural members as medium, while the rest of your architectural model is coarse, open your Visibility/Graphics window and scroll down to the Structural members. At the right side, override the level of detail for the Structural categories to Medium. You can save this as part of a View Template to be applied to all other similar views. If you are looking at the structural members as linked, but not copied - then go to the Revit Links tab in V/G and either set it to "By host view" under the Basics tab or do the same thing for the structural members under the Model Categories for RVT Link Display Settings.

As far as the floors go, you should copy+monitor the floors from your engineer. This will make a local copy of their floor in your model which you can join to other geometry in your model. Then, turn off the floors from their RVT link into your project.

HTH.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Feedback needed on linking Revit Structure

Thanks James
    i had asked few people at the AU on how to deal with Revit structure model information you receive from the engineers. everybody agreed to link the revit structure model instead of copy monitoring the structural elements. but it makes sense to copy monitor the floor at least per your reply.
    Thanks for the detail visibility override tip. lot of time i don't look in detail at every window or dialogue box in Revit and i end up missing simple things like the detail level column in the VG window
    Thanks for replying so fast and Merry Christmas - Mo