See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: China Logistics - purchase machines, setup a network/email and buy software

Login to Give a bone

Default China Logistics - purchase machines, setup a network/email and buy software

Hi,
    We are trying to open an office in China and I was wondering if anyone had some input/advice. I have to purchase machines, setup a network/email and buy software. It's only for 2 people to start and 3 more to add in later. They will be collaborating with us here in SF daily. We already outsourcing with a company in India so we have experience in transferring etc. I have a plan but I'm wondering what I've missed or if anyone has been through the process before. Any advise is welcome.
    Thanks!
    Cynthia

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: China Logistics - purchase machines, setup a network/email and buy software

Hi

If I am understanding correctly what you are asking, the below may prove somewhat useful...

Do you have someone local ( in China ), you trust and can help with what needs to be done ?

If no, I recommend finding someone... having such a person will help greatly, especially with the different language and cultural differences.

When I worked in Taiwan I had to set-up a design team office ( 6 people ), within the main contractors site office. Without the help of a local CAD Technician that I employed it would have proven almost impossible to organise, purchase all the hardware and software required.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: China Logistics - purchase machines, setup a network/email and buy software

We definately have a resource to purchase and setup but it's still our show so I just wanted to see if there was something big I'm missing. I have laid out the Network/Workstation basic needs but I have software to think about too. We sending one of our guys over and he wants to work in English (for the software) but his staff will probably want to work in Chinese. He'll want to use all our standrds and customization but how much effort do I want to put in to have all the Chinese hired staff work with our toolbars and buttons. Is it worth translating all our standards to Chinese or just let them do as they like. All the packages will be in Chinese but our guy is still wants stay in English whenever possible. Any thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

Hi

In Taiwan I found the following to be true...

* Local people will use local versions ( Chinese ) of Operating System and software.

* People of native English speaking countries will use English versions of...

* The AutoCAD customisation I had put together, especially the stuff relating to the project was all kept in original format ( English ).

* The local people were more than capable of using that customisation ( I installed it on at least 6 computers running Chinese Windows and Chinese AutoCAD ).

* We found all local people who had some form of technical education / training, had at least some basic knowledge / understanding of English ( is part of their technical education ).

What I am really trying to say with the above - you need to asses the local market and their skill sets, before determining your course of action.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks that is helpful. It supports my course of action. I appreciate your help!
    Sincerely,
    Cynthia