Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does AutoCAD LT corrupt Fields

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Does AutoCAD LT corrupt Fields

We're having some issues with our plot time and date fields not working correctly. The one thought that is preying on my mind is "does autocad lt corrupt the fields?"
    Is this so? If this is not the case, why are our fields not working?

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Does AutoCAD LT corrupt Fields

Hi

What version(s) of AutoCAD LT are you running ?

Please define your meaning of Corrupt Fields ie What exactly is happening to your Fields ?

Please explain how your Plot time and Date Fields are not working correctly ?

How are your Plot time and Date Fields created in the first place ?

Have a good one, Mike

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does AutoCAD LT corrupt Fields

Quote Originally Posted by dfarris75
    We're having some issues with our plot time and date fields not working correctly. The one thought that is preying on my mind is "does autocad lt corrupt the fields?"
    Is this so? If this is not the case, why are our fields not working?
    I've never heard or experienced anything like that in my office and we use LT along with 2006 and 2007 AutoCAD ..... but stranger things have happened ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

The cadd folks use C3D/Land/Map 2006 and the engineers use LT 2006. I have created template .dwt's for starting our dwgs and I added a plot date field to the sheets, however it often plots with just the default - instead of actually filling in the plot date as it is supposed to.
    Any idea what would cause it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfarris75
    The cadd folks use C3D/Land/Map 2006 and the engineers use LT 2006. I have created template .dwt's for starting our dwgs and I added a plot date field to the sheets, however it often plots with just the default - instead of actually filling in the plot date as it is supposed to.
    Any idea what would cause it?
    Hi

Not knowing how your Plot time and Date Fields are created, you may wish to look at...

ID: TS1053733 - LastSavedBy field does not update

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-05-10 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Link updated.

Login to Give a bone

Let me try to clarify a little.
    I create a .dwg and I type field > field category - Plot > field value is plot date - mm/dd/yy time
    This way when we plot the .dwg the field fills in the current date and time at the time of printing. In the .dwg it displays as dashes (---). However, I have found, and it seems after an engineer opens the file in AutoCAD LT, that sometimes the date will actually be filled in (not always, but sometimes). Other times the field will remain its default value (---).
    When I plot at this point sometimes the plot date and time field will not fill in the dashes and will just print the dashes (---) and other times if it is filled in within the .dwg (orange comment) it will just leave it as filled in rather than updating.
    I cannot figure out what it causing this, but it is annoying the poo out of me, not to mention when we print qc or submittal sets it would be nice if this field would be accurate as it can cause confusion.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Ok! see if the following from the AutoCAD Online Help File [F1] provides the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Work with AutoCAD Drawings in AutoCAD LT

Work with Fields

AutoCAD includes fields, which are text strings that update when their value changes. When a drawing with fields is opened in AutoCAD LT, the fields are updated based on the value of the FIELDEVAL system variable. If FIELDEVAL is set to 0, or if the DST file for an AutoCAD sheet set is not available, the last values cached in the drawing are displayed. If the file is subsequently opened in AutoCAD, the fields are updated as usual. FIELDEVAL cannot be set in AutoCAD LT.

The FIELDDISPLAY system variable, which is available in AutoCAD LT, controls the display of fields in the drawing. You can delete a field in AutoCAD LT, but you cannot edit it. If you manually enter field code syntax, it is evaluated but converted to a text string that does not update.
    Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike. From what that says though, they should work fine when opened in AutoCAD again after being opened in LT (considering they weren't removed or anything) and they aren't. Our FIELDEVAL setting is generally on 16 so the fields will update on REGEN. I wonder if we should change that setting to another variable....?

Login to Give a bone

Hi

For what it is worth I personally work with FieldEval set at 31 ( all option switched on ).

Maybe try using 31 and attempt to make sure everyone is using the exact same setting.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

That remedied the problem. Thanks Mike.

Another problem we tend to have which seems to be sprouting from LT is that our Sheet Set files (.dst) seem to be disappearing occasionally. Do you know if LT causes this or should I be hunting down a user who may be deleting the files via Windows Explorer???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast