Thread: Repeating Classes

Question Repeating Classes

Why does the ATP class # change when the class is repeated?

For example:
    ATP105 AutoCAD 101 - A Survival Course for Beginners

Same as:
    ATP166 AutoCAD 101 - A Survival Course for Beginners

If the ATP class #s were to stay the same. They could be archived by ATP #, why archive duplicate information? Also there would be no confusion as to whether or not you have already taken the class. I have, in the past, signed up for a class only to find out I previously taken the class before.

All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary

Default Re: Repeating Classes

Maybe the course description could include that information.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Quote Originally Posted by zorroxxxx
    Why does the ATP class # change when the class is repeated?

For example:
    ATP105 AutoCAD 101 - A Survival Course for Beginners

Same as:
    ATP166 AutoCAD 101 - A Survival Course for Beginners

If the ATP class #s were to stay the same. They could be archived by ATP #, why archive duplicate information? Also there would be no confusion as to whether or not you have already taken the class. I have, in the past, signed up for a class only to find out I previously taken the class before.

All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary
    Hello Gary,

Due to the way that the database is stored, we wouldn't be able to re-run a course and keep it available in the archive at the the same time with the same ATP number.

In future courses, I do plan to add a note in the description of the course that states that "this course was previously run as ATP###". So students will be able to verify if they've taken the course before.

Also, it's quite common for an instructor to modify or make additions to their class based on the questions and comments in the course forums the first time it is run. So the archive version might not be the exact same version as the course that is currently running.

Hope that helps explain things a little bit better.

Regards,
    Ken

Talking Re: Repeating Classes

Hi Ken,

I did not think about added material.
    Modifying class material based on student input is a great idea.

Thanks
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Augi Doggie
    Hello Gary,

Due to the way that the database is stored, we wouldn't be able to re-run a course and keep it available in the archive at the the same time with the same ATP number.

In future courses, I do plan to add a note in the description of the course that states that "this course was previously run as ATP###". So students will be able to verify if they've taken the course before.

Also, it's quite common for an instructor to modify or make additions to their class based on the questions and comments in the course forums the first time it is run. So the archive version might not be the exact same version as the course that is currently running.

Hope that helps explain things a little bit better.

Regards,
    Ken
    In case of possible edits, you could put a note that it is an updated version of ATP ###.
    Just an idea.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

AUGI Addict

When a course is repeated (or an updated version repeated), would/should the original stay in the archives? If so what would be the point of the rerun course going into hibernation for three months once it has run its course (pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    When a course is repeated (or an updated version repeated), would/should the original stay in the archives? If so what would be the point of the rerun course going into hibernation for three months once it has run its course (pun intended )
    To answer your first question, IMHO, yes it should definately stay in the archives. If it wasn't, then I would be probably answering questions on an almost daily basis as to where the course has gone. You also can't expect students to have to do the research to find the "current" version of the class that they were looking for.

As for the hibernation period, the thought behind it is to encourage students to get involved in the course while it's currently being presented. The BoD is very much against making this a "download only" method of teaching, the forums offer a very valuable portion of the course that simply downloading archived materials don't offer.

Also, bear in mind the archives are primarily intended for students who took the course that would like to view the materials again.