See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Explorer for viewing DWF

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Internet Explorer for viewing DWF

Not install any additional software - i mean nothing from autodesk.
    If microsoft launches XPS viewer for 2000 and XP, we should install it i supose...In time it should be part of IE.
    Perhaps with that XPS viewer, IE is capable of reading other fileformats also...?

Of note, so you're not just hearing it from Autodesk blogs, is that: In addition to Vista, Microsoft will also release a stand-alone XPS Viewer for use in Windows 2000 through Vista. XPS Viewers will also be available for Mac, Linux, and UNIX platforms.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johan d
    If microsoft launches XPS viewer for 2000 and XP, we should install it i supose...In time it should be part of IE.
    Perhaps with that XPS viewer, IE is capable of reading other fileformats also...?

Of note, so you're not just hearing it from Autodesk blogs, is that: In addition to Vista, Microsoft will also release a stand-alone XPS Viewer for use in Windows 2000 through Vista. XPS Viewers will also be available for Mac, Linux, and UNIX platforms.
    Right, but I could see taking advantage of this - IF you don't have to deploy DWF Viewer AND it works in IE or Firefox without having to go through DWFIT.

For example, new XP machine is deployed with NO autodesk software installed (other than maybe a single DLL). The user double clicks a DWF file and it opens in a browser.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Take a look at the following...

View and Generate XPS

Please note, I have not yet! installed View and Generate XPS, so I am unable to confirm / deny if the current release is able to view DWF files.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I have installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 on my XP sp2 computer. After that ran a windows update and installed all missing updates. I have IE 7

I selected IE to open DWF files. If doubleclick on a DWF file XP if asking repeadetly to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel' a DWF file, but nothing happens...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I have installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 on my XP sp2 computer. After that ran a windows update and installed all missing updates. I have IE 7

I selected IE to open DWF files. If doubleclick on a DWF file XP if asking repeadetly to 'open', 'save' or 'cancel' a DWF file, but nothing happens...
    Hi

If you want to view DWF files within IE ( running under Windows XP ) you need to install DWF Viewer or Design Review ( either of those products will install in the ActiveX Controls(s) needed for viewing DWF files in IE )...

See HERE and HERE.

If you were using Windows Vista and wanted to view DWF files you would not need to install anything...

See HERE.

If using Windows XP and wanted to view DWF files ( without installing DWF Viewer or Design Review ) you should in theory be able to download, install and use a XPS Viewer...

See HERE and HERE.

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-01-16 at 09:05 AM. Reason: "( running under Windows XP )" added.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike for the efforts...

I could stop if I wanted to scott.sheppard's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here is the expected workflow. For the purposes of our example, let's use AutoCAD 2008.

1. AutoCAD 2008 user wants to publish a DWF file that he wants to share with a Vista user.
    2. AutoCAD 2008 user decides to publish my_design.dwfx.
    3. AutoCAD 2008 user emails my_design.dwfx to the Vista user.
    4. The Vista user double clicks on the received my_design.dwfx.
    5. The Microsoft XPS Viewer opens up the DWF file.

In this example, this is possible because the DWF file was published using the DWFx version of the DWF Toolkit. If the Vista user had been a Windows XP user, the same thing could have been accomplished if the user had installed the Microsoft XPS Viewer on his system ahead of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12