Thread: Hardware Requirements (ABS and Revit Systems) - What about multiple cores?

Login to Give a bone

Question Hardware Requirements (ABS and Revit Systems) - What about multiple cores?

Here are Autodesk's published hardware recommendations for Revit and ABS
    Recommended System Requirements
    The following are the recommended hardware and operating system requirements for installing both the Autodesk Building Systems 2007.1 and Autodesk Revit Systems 2 applications on a single workstation.

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD-K7™ processor, 3 GHz or higher
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition (SP2 or later); or Windows 2000 Professional (SP4 or later)
    * 2 GB RAM
    * 6 GB free disk space for full application install
    * 1280x1024 video display adapter capable of 32-bit color
    * Modem (connection to Internet) with Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (SP1 or later)
    * Sound card for multimedia learning
    * TCP/IP or IPX support (required only for multiuser or floating license configurations)
    What is not discussed is the effect of using multiple processors. If we are faced with upgrading computers to be productive on the new software, I am wondering whether the upgrade should include dual cores. Is the program written to take advantage of this?

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Hardware Requirements (ABS and Revit Systems) - What about multiple cores?

Quote Originally Posted by barnem1
    What is not discussed is the effect of using multiple processors. If we are faced with upgrading computers to be productive on the new software, I am wondering whether the upgrade should include dual cores. Is the program written to take advantage of this?
    Hello barnem1,
    Welcome to AUGI.

This topic has been discussed a lot over on the Revit forum, for example in this post, (click here). I notice you use AutoCad 2007, this thread, (click here) covers the dual processors issue in relation to AutoCad. (I mention this as, both packages appear only to use the dual core for rendering).

Perhaps you might like to give a little more detail on the likely application of your new computers.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hardware Requirements (ABS and Revit Systems) - What about multiple cores?

Thanks for the references. Our primary use of the computers would be strictly design for production of construction documents. At present, I do not see rendering as a routine part of our services. These things have a way of changing, however, so who knows?

I had been told a few years back that AutoCAD was not written to take advantage of multiple processors. I just needed to confirm that that had not changed, and find out whether Revit was any different.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais
    Hello barnem1,
    Welcome to AUGI.

This topic has been discussed a lot over on the Revit forum, for example in this post, (click here). I notice you use AutoCad 2007, this thread, (click here) covers the dual processors issue in relation to AutoCad. (I mention this as, both packages appear only to use the dual core for rendering).

Perhaps you might like to give a little more detail on the likely application of your new computers.