See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

Login to Give a bone

Talking Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

When I move or rotate an object, I can not see it. But when I move a dimension I can see it, so its not 'DRAGMODE'.
    Does anyone know how to fix this.

I could stop if I wanted to jgratton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

What version are you using? I noticed 2006 works differently.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr
    When I move or rotate an object, I can not see it. But when I move a dimension I can see it, so its not 'DRAGMODE'.
    Hi

What Layer are the Objects on ?

Dragmode not working

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

Using AutoCAD 2002 and the objects are on a named layer.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I sometimes cannot see objects and I think it is a hardware issue.
    All computers tend to skip a beat every once in awhile.

Im not running a slug bug either.

Login to Give a bone

I'm using ACAD 2007 and this has been bugging me for a few years. I switch between dragmode ON and dragmode Auto multiple times per day. Why, you ask? Because I manipulate objects in my drawing, and I also insert blocks.

When dragmode is set to Auto, you can see block attached to your cursor as you're inserting it. However, if it is set to ON, you cannot see them. Unfortunately, when it is set to Auto, you often cannot move or copy an item a distance based on it's original location. Say you have a rectangle... no seriously, say it. You want to move that rectangle so the top-left corner is 4" to the right of where the bottom-right corner is now. You cannot, because as soon as you pick the base point, the rectangle moves with the cursor, and you cannot pick any of the points it used to inhabit because they're following your cursor. This doesn't always happen, so it drives me nuts.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Don't know what's going on ... on Vanilla 2008 I have DRAGMODE=Auto, block inserts & moves work fine (preview and possible to pick old object snaps). However with DRAGMODE=ON move does not "drag" the object, neither does Insert show the block. It's as if ON and OFF mean the same thing, so (as far as I can tell) here's the ADeschk speak:
    • ON = OFF
    • OFF = OFF
    • Auto = ON
    WTF? Fortunately in 2008 (it seems) leaving DRAGMODE set to Auto works for all instances (at least those I've come across).

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Even weirder ... looking through the help (searched on drag keyword) came across copy with grip edit by holding Ctrl down.

Now that was something I didn't know ... so I tried it, works great ! At least for the 1st copy , then the cursor starts jumping onto random points. As if snapping to an irregular grid, no objects behind (all layers on & thawed) - see screen captures ... should've made an AVI to show how the cross-hairs jump, but try it yourself. Maybe there's something wrong with mine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Don't know what's going on ... on Vanilla 2008 I have DRAGMODE=Auto, block inserts & moves work fine (preview and possible to pick old object snaps). However with DRAGMODE=ON move does not "drag" the object, neither does Insert show the block. It's as if ON and OFF mean the same thing, so (as far as I can tell) here's the ADeschk speak:
    • ON = OFF
    • OFF = OFF
    • Auto = ON
    WTF? Fortunately in 2008 (it seems) leaving DRAGMODE set to Auto works for all instances (at least those I've come across).
    Back in the bad old days of 80286 processors, tuning DRAG ON allowed you to type DRAG anytme you wanted to see the ghost image of the entity you were moving or inserting. With the processor capability back when, DRAG AUTO was kinda risky -- you might get stuck a long time waiting for a whole lot of redrawing going on, because it would automagically drag anything anytime dragging was possible..

DRAG OFF was useful in scripts or LISP routines that moved objects around without spending time painting the screen.

think of the varous settings today are pretty much legacy items, go with either OFF or AUTO depending on your inclinations

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Cannot see Objects as I move or rotate them

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Even weirder ... looking through the help (searched on drag keyword) came across copy with grip edit by holding Ctrl down.

Now that was something I didn't know ... so I tried it, works great ! At least for the 1st copy , then the cursor starts jumping onto random points. As if snapping to an irregular grid, no objects behind (all layers on & thawed) - see screen captures ... should've made an AVI to show how the cross-hairs jump, but try it yourself. Maybe there's something wrong with mine?
    That IS a handy li'l command, but I cannot find a way to specify the distance. What I do know, is that once you copy it once that way, it remembers the distance and will work like offset in any direction. Check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast