Thread: Naming convention question

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Naming convention question

So I am working on a library of dumb tags, for use where standard Revit tags fail; for example a Window Tag that functions (if manually tracking changes can be called functional) in a Legend. In my head I call them dumb tags, because they are not intelligent, and I think it is dumb that I even need them. But I still have a few people who think Revit was a dumb idea, so I really don't want to add fuel to their fire I also want to name these things in a way that is at least somewhat rational. I want their use to be somewhat discoverable, rather than a cryptic name that needs explaining (my first thought was GUC, or Graphic Uninformed CAD, with the puking sound a nice side benefit)
    Anyway, anyone actually come up with a name for these very Non BIM tags, or do you just admit they are dumb and move on?

Thanks,
    Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon.Price; 2007-01-16 at 06:04 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Naming convention question

How about Faux Tags? With real imitation wood grain....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    How about Faux Tags? With real imitation wood grain....
    Oooh, I like it. And it will appeal to the black turtle neck and Corbu glasses set!
    Or perhaps Revit Tag Product. I heard Oregon might require Coors and Bud and the like to call themselves American Beer Product, because they are like, and yet not, beer. Same with these tags.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

I choose to call them Fake 'cause....they just are!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gordon.price View Post
    I heard Oregon might require Coors and Bud and the like to call themselves American Beer Product, because they are like, and yet not, beer.
    Haha, and so they should be called 'like beer'. These mass produced American lagers are typically made with up to 40% corn or rice adjuncts instead of malted barley , and the hop levels are almost imperceptible, making them a cheap to produce and cheap tasting beer, faux beer you might say.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    Haha, and so they should be called 'like beer'. These mass produced American lagers are typically made with up to 40% corn or rice adjuncts instead of malted barley , and the hop levels are almost imperceptible, making them a cheap to produce and cheap tasting beer, faux beer you might say.
    Chad, A few years back I would have taken offense, but after two vacation trips to your country, and several to Germany, I'd have to agree with you. There are some US micro-brews that are VERY good, almost as good as Cascade Premium!

Login to Give a bone

Anyone come up with anything better?

We thought Pseudo would be good...sounds more "intelligent" than dumb.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Naming convention question

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    So I am working on a library of dumb tags, for use where standard Revit tags fail; for example a Window Tag that functions (if manually tracking changes can be called functional) in a Legend. In my head I call them dumb tags, because they are not intelligent, and I think it is dumb that I even need them. But I still have a few people who think Revit was a dumb idea, so I really don't want to add fuel to their fire I also want to name these things in a way that is at least somewhat rational. I want their use to be somewhat discoverable, rather than a cryptic name that needs explaining (my first thought was GUC, or Graphic Uninformed CAD, with the puking sound a nice side benefit)
    Anyway, anyone actually come up with a name for these very Non BIM tags, or do you just admit they are dumb and move on?

Thanks,
    Gordon
    We call them Symbols instead of tags. Tags are linked to the modeled element, symbols are not. Although I have seen people use the symbols in model views and then complain that they have to retype all the information because it's not linked. Symbol=Legend View Only / Tag=Everything else!!!

I hope that helps.

P.S. - On the topic of beer, Wisconsin has great micro-breweries. Great Dane, New Glarus Brewing Company, Capital Brewing, Ale Asylum, Vintage Brewing Co. just to name a few. God I love Wisconsin

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

The way we've named them is exactly the same as the original one and added "-manual" after it. This way they sort, one after the other.