Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hide for all visibility states except current"?

Login to Give a bone

Default "Hide for all visibility states except current"?

I'm trying to create a Dynamic Block with a lot of states. Essentially, there are four text objects that change in every state.

What I started doing is copying the four text fields, and changing them to say what I want in the current visibility state. Then I select them all, and choose "Hide for all states". Then I select them all again, and choose "Show in current state". Change to the next visibility state, and repeat the process.

This process is pretty annoying. Is there a better way? Just having an option to "Hide in all states except current" would be much nicer.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Hide for all visibility states except current"?

Ahh... I think I figured it out.

I've discovered that new objects are, by default, visible in the current state only. So, by creating all states to start with, everything works OK.

I make it so I can see things that are invisible in the current state. I create the four text objects in the first state. Switch to the next state. The text objects are invisible in this state. All I need to do is select and copy them with no displacement; the copies are visible in the current state. Change them to say what I want for the current state. Go on to the next state... and so on.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879
    Ahh... I think I figured it out.

I've discovered that new objects are, by default, visible in the current state only. So, by creating all states to start with, everything works OK.

I make it so I can see things that are invisible in the current state. I create the four text objects in the first state. Switch to the next state. The text objects are invisible in this state. All I need to do is select and copy them with no displacement; the copies are visible in the current state. Change them to say what I want for the current state. Go on to the next state... and so on.
    You can hoose to do that, except, from what I understand, you're copying items into the new states. If you have 3 attributes per state, that means you have 12 different attributes divided among 4 states. Why not just leave the same attributes and make them visible and invisible to the current state depending on what you need?

I've attached a picture. Play with the buttons I've got circled and see what they can do. It's certainly better than copying the same text strings and object and pasting. Makes editing easier.

Maybe I've misunderstood and you already know how to use them. If so, no offense or nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    You can hoose to do that, except, from what I understand, you're copying items into the new states. If you have 3 attributes per state, that means you have 12 different attributes divided among 4 states. Why not just leave the same attributes and make them visible and invisible to the current state depending on what you need?
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying...

I have 4 text items in the block. Not attributes, just text. The text in all four items changes, and is different in each visibility state.

The only way I've figured out to do this is to create text items in each visibility state. So, for example, the text in the bottom center says "Foo" in state 1. The same text says "Bar" in state 2, etc.

Is there some other way of having text change from visibility state to visibility state? Like use an attribute, but have the value of the attribute change as visibility state changes?

Login to Give a bone

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying...

I have 4 text items in the block. Not attributes, just text. The text in all four items changes, and is different in each visibility state.

The only way I've figured out to do this is to create text items in each visibility state. So, for example, the text in the bottom center says "Foo" in state 1. The same text says "Bar" in state 2, etc.

Is there some other way of having text change from visibility state to visibility state? Like use an attribute, but have the value of the attribute change as visibility state changes?
    You could place the value of the visibility state in the attribute. A regen or update of the field would update the text. This may be able to be updated through a lookup table as well. I have not used them yet.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    You could place the value of the visibility state in the attribute. A regen or update of the field would update the text. This may be able to be updated through a lookup table as well. I have not used them yet.
    yep. that's right.

Either that, or use a text field (text attribute?) and edit it depending on the vis state it's in. I'm just thinking that as far as editing DBs goes, it's easier if you reduce the amount of lines and text as much as possible. It also makes a difference in drawing size I imagine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    That makes basically no sense to me.

What does "place the value of the visibility state in the attribute" mean? Where do I enter all the possible values of the text?

Login to Give a bone

What does "place the value of the visibility state in the attribute" mean? Where do I enter all the possible values of the text?
    Post your drawing. We'll show you what we mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    Post your drawing. We'll show you what we mean.
    It's basically the same situation as the Drawing Scale block that comes with Autocad.

Opening up that block, they created a lot of different text objects, and selectively set individual text objects to be visible in the correct visibility states.

How would you make a version of the Drawing Scale dynamic block that used only one set of attributes, instead of all those individual text objects?

Login to Give a bone

via the use of 'fields' that are placed in attributes instead of regular text.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast