Thread: controlling table information from a dynamic block

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default controlling table information from a dynamic block

I have these two dynamic blocks for door elevations that i am going to use in my shop drawing elevations. i am trying to get them set up so that once i have all my elevations drawn, i can just create a door schedule on my cover page that lists all of the door properties for each door in that job. the attached file has the door blocks and the table (thus far).

my problem is this. when my elevation is showing a door mid-rail, i want it to list the midrail dimensions. But, when i have the visibility of the midrail turned off, i want that cell in the table for the midrail dimension to read "NONE". i cant seem to figure out how to accomplish this..

thanks everyone!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: controlling table information from a dynamic block

Quote Originally Posted by james.126519
    I have these two dynamic blocks for door elevations that i am going to use in my shop drawing elevations. i am trying to get them set up so that once i have all my elevations drawn, i can just create a door schedule on my cover page that lists all of the door properties for each door in that job. the attached file has the door blocks and the table (thus far).

my problem is this. when my elevation is showing a door mid-rail, i want it to list the midrail dimensions. But, when i have the visibility of the midrail turned off, i want that cell in the table for the midrail dimension to read "NONE". i cant seem to figure out how to accomplish this..

thanks everyone!
    at the moment, i can't think of an answer for you, other than to accept a blank entry to = "none"
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

ok i figured it out. i have attached the final product if anyone is interested.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

ok i figured it out. i have attached the final product if anyone is interested.
    What was the answer you found? Would you mind posting it so that others an have something to reference in case it happens to someone else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

no problem.

all of the door components are typical for every door we manufacture except for the mid-rail, which is optional. so, i created a linear parameter with a stretch action to adjust to the various sizes of mid-rails, and another linear parameter and stretch action to relocate the centerline of the mid-rail anywhere on the door. then i created a visibility parameter to allow me to turn the midrail and its editing grips on/off by selecting either 'midrail' or 'no midrail'

My dillema was when i create my door schedule, it was reading my linear parameter on the mid-rail for the size, regardless if it was visible or not.

so, i ended up creating a lookup parameter linked to the visibility parameter. i renamed the visibility parameter "midrail" for easy identification when running EATTEXT for the table.

in the lookup action's propery lookup table, i selected the input properties for the visibility parameter "mid-rail". i had to set 10 total input properties, because i have 5 different size mid-rails, so there had to be 5 listed as visible (midrail) and 5 listed as invisible (no midrail). then in the lookup properties, i just duplicated the value for the mid-rail size in each of the 5 properties listed as visible, and for the 5 listed as invisible i put 'NONE' for the lookup properties. and it actually worked...im so proud!

im loving all of this new stuff

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

no problem.

all of the door components are typical for every door we manufacture except for the mid-rail, which is optional. so, i created a linear parameter with a stretch action to adjust to the various sizes of mid-rails, and another linear parameter and stretch action to relocate the centerline of the mid-rail anywhere on the door. then i created a visibility parameter to allow me to turn the midrail and its editing grips on/off by selecting either 'midrail' or 'no midrail'

My dillema was when i create my door schedule, it was reading my linear parameter on the mid-rail for the size, regardless if it was visible or not.

so, i ended up creating a lookup parameter linked to the visibility parameter. i renamed the visibility parameter "midrail" for easy identification when running EATTEXT for the table.

in the lookup action's propery lookup table, i selected the input properties for the visibility parameter "mid-rail". i had to set 10 total input properties, because i have 5 different size mid-rails, so there had to be 5 listed as visible (midrail) and 5 listed as invisible (no midrail). then in the lookup properties, i just duplicated the value for the mid-rail size in each of the 5 properties listed as visible, and for the 5 listed as invisible i put 'NONE' for the lookup properties. and it actually worked...im so proud!

im loving all of this new stuff
    Good for you!

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for and we appreciate your taking the time to post it for others to learn from.

Keep up the good work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

just wanted to bump this up a little

i still cant seem to find a soloution..im really hoping one of you incredibly smart people will be able to help when you get some free time lol.

edit:
    ive attached what i have done most recently...

as you can see, everything works except for the "MID-RAIL CENTERLINE AFF" column. both doors in the drawing are exactly the same except one has the midrail turned on and one has the midrail turned off. if you notice under the "MIDRAIL" column, one says 1 1/2" and the other says NONE. im trying to accomplish the same goal in the "MID-RAIL CENTERLINE AFF" column.
    Last edited by jim.knipe426609; 2007-01-23 at 02:38 PM.

Login to Give a bone

james,

i'm looking through your example drawing. i'm trying to do something similar, but i can't seem to get your drawing to work correctly. i changed one of the doors to no midrail but coldn't get the table to update. the update data link button is greyed out.