See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ways to speed up current systems?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ways to speed up current systems?

There is also no reason I can think of that a 3.2ghz speed processor should ever be over-clocked, that is pretty much the top of the pile already (ignoring duo or quad cores).

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    we dont do enough 3D work for it to be an issue, and when we do i am usually the one doing it, and i have 1gb of ram.

the user that mentions the speed issues frequently does alot of grocery store remodel work - files range from less than 1mb to about 8mb.

problems are just overall sluggishness when working. commands take several seconds to innitialize, drawings take several minutes to open, panning and zooming takes several seconds to a minute to take effect. seems to be alot of system lag while working in cad.
    Sounds like a Video card issue...What do your workstations have???

Also, 1 gig is preferred for 2d work and I would go with 2 gig for 3d work...There is a difference just by adding the extra 512 mb...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another thought is maybe your network is holding you back, I don't know much about it myself but we just had our LAN overhauled it it now runs at 2gbps, and in general everything is a lot quicker.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    There is also no reason I can think of that a 3.2ghz speed processor should ever be over-clocked, that is pretty much the top of the pile already (ignoring duo or quad cores).
    True, but you can increase RAM speed along with FSB (or HTT if AMD) speed increasing the performance of your machine...Believe it or not, you can notice quite a difference with each mhz increase of the processor...I was (so far) able to get 350MHz out of my RAM from 318 MHz...I have noticed quite a difference when opening programs and files...I also overclocked my processor (AMD) from 2.4 to 2.5 and it performs exceptionally well...

Very true about your network...If your network has collisions and other problems, the performance of your workstation accessing those networked resources will be greatly impacted...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    Another thought is maybe your network is holding you back, I don't know much about it myself but we just had our LAN overhauled it it now runs at 2gbps, and in general everything is a lot quicker.
    that actually may have alot to do with it. the connections to his computer are daisy-chained a few times. we are in an old house that has been (poorly) modified to be an office, and there at one time was another company upstairs, which is where the user that mentions speed the most is located. hardware wise the internal pieces are new, we bought a new router a few months ago, and other than the daisy-chained wires going upstairs everything is directly connected.

we are moving to a new office in a couple months, so i will pay attention to how speeds change with direct wireing.

Login to Give a bone

Have you checked to see what other background processes are running? Pressing CTRL ALT DEL (at the same time) will bring up the task manager and provide a list of the programs running in the background.

I've found that iTunes has caused some performance issues on my machine here (running a Dell GX620 w/ Pentium D 3.2 Ghz, 2 Gig RAM, 80 Gig HD, XP Pro sp. 2 and on network).

Keeping things as clean as possible you'll find that around 2 dozen processes (minimum) should be running in the background.
    Last edited by s_morgan_b; 2007-01-18 at 04:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

that actually may have alot to do with it. the connections to his computer are daisy-chained a few times. we are in an old house that has been (poorly) modified to be an office, and there at one time was another company upstairs, which is where the user that mentions speed the most is located. hardware wise the internal pieces are new, we bought a new router a few months ago, and other than the daisy-chained wires going upstairs everything is directly connected.

we are moving to a new office in a couple months, so i will pay attention to how speeds change with direct wireing.
    Forgive me, but what type of network topology do you have??? Is it ThinNet or UTP??? If it is UTP, I am not sure that Daisy Chaining will work at all...If you guys got it to work, that would be a miracle...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    Forgive me, but what type of network topology do you have??? Is it ThinNet or UTP??? If it is UTP, I am not sure that Daisy Chaining will work at all...If you guys got it to work, that would be a miracle...
    no clue. you might as well have asked me the atomic weight of molybendium.

the connection to upstairs goes:

wire from router heads upstairs - ends in female connector - patch cable into workgroup switch - cable heads around towards desks - another female connector - cable into computer.

we also just uninstalled one of those desktop weather apps and he said that it made a big difference once it was gone.

thanks for the help so far

Login to Give a bone

no clue. you might as well have asked me the atomic weight of molybendium.

the connection to upstairs goes:

wire from router heads upstairs - ends in female connector - patch cable into workgroup switch - cable heads around towards desks - another female connector - cable into computer.

we also just uninstalled one of those desktop weather apps and he said that it made a big difference once it was gone.

thanks for the help so far
    OK...I see what you mean by Daisy Chained...Really all things like Itunes and spare programs like that should be removed...I would keep that machine as clean as possible...Anything that is taking up processes that does not need to be there needs to be removed...

I hope this thing starts to get better for you...

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The IT department at my comapny will tell you to turn off Outlook.
    That would free up some resources.

I wish I could do that.....no more emails.........woohoo!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast