See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doors & Interior Windows in same Schedule

Login to Give a bone

Default Doors & Interior Windows in same Schedule

The company I work for is switching from AutoCAD w/ArchT to ADT 2007. With the ArchT we could tag doors and interior windows and have them in the same schedule. I wanted to know if anyone has done this with ADT 2007 or earlier. I want to be able to keep our schedules looking the same. We measure to the inside of the doors & the inside of the windows. If it has been done, I would like to know if anyone has an example that I could use. I have been teaching myself ADT 2007. I understand enough to get use working, but I need some help with the scheduling and property data sets. I will give what ever information I can to help explain this more. Thank you.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Doors & Interior Windows in same Schedule

Hi arhine (Sorry I don't know your name)

First, Welcome to AUGI!!

Could you post an example schedule so we can see what property sets you want and how you would like to see the date presented. I work in the electrical field so I haven't specifically done what you want to do but if I have an example of what you're looking for I may be able to offer some suggestions.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arhine
    The company I work for is switching from AutoCAD w/ArchT to ADT 2007. With the ArchT we could tag doors and interior windows and have them in the same schedule. I wanted to know if anyone has done this with ADT 2007 or earlier. I want to be able to keep our schedules looking the same. We measure to the inside of the doors & the inside of the windows. If it has been done, I would like to know if anyone has an example that I could use. I have been teaching myself ADT 2007. I understand enough to get use working, but I need some help with the scheduling and property data sets. I will give what ever information I can to help explain this more. Thank you.
    Yes you could have a schedule that displays both doors and windows. It's simply a matter of creating Property Set Definitions and Schedule Tables that read both object types. I personally don't have any examples, but you should have a look at Davids blog as he's got most info you would need on schedules in one spot.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I am having troubles with the opening size and thickness. I don't need anything in thickness when I pick a window. I have attached an example drawing. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Tony Rhine
    JRA Architecture
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by arhine; 2007-01-19 at 08:34 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I solved the problem by making a few tweaks to the property set definitions and to the schedule tables.

First add Object Type, Width and Height definitions to the OpeningObject property set.

Change the Windowsize-WxH formual property definition to read "[Width]x[Height]" (note you must use the quote marks. Make sure width, height and thickness use the standard data format style.

Edit the "Opening Shedule" schedule table style and replace the contents of the "OPENING" column's formula with the following.

If "[OpeningObject:ObjectType]" = "Window" then
    RESULT = "[OpeningObject:Windowsize-WxH]"
    ElseIf "[OpeningObject:ObjectType]" = "Door" then RESULT = "[OpeningObjectoorSize-PRWxH]"
    Else RESULT = "?"
    End If

Create a new formula column called "THK" (first delete the existing one), and place the following formula inside:

If "[OpeningObject:ObjectType]" = "Door" then
    RESULT = "[OpeningObject:Thickness]"
    Else Result = ""
    End If

Select the schedule table and right click, select the option to add all property sets.

Bingo!

Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gdaniels; 2007-01-24 at 09:20 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Doors & Interior Windows in same Schedule

Does anyone know if there is a way to exclude doors in a door schedule? For example: a door that is a toilet partition that you do not want to have in the door schedule.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your answer. The only problem now is that I was wondering if the results could be in Feet and inches.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by desiree.ball
    Does anyone know if there is a way to exclude doors in a door schedule? For example: a door that is a toilet partition that you do not want to have in the door schedule.
    If the schedule is in the same file as the objects being scheduled, you could simply not include the undesired objects in the selection set. That would be rather tedious in a large file, and almost all of the "final" schedules in my drawings run through externally referenced files or an external file, where that technique will not work.

There are two "global" options. Each schedule table has its own layer filter; create a layer filter that includes the doors you want and excludes the ones you do not. That would require placing toilet partition doors on a different layer than the doors you wish to schedule.

The other option would be to use a Classification Defintion and assign different values to schedulable door styles and non-schedulable door styles. That would require having a unique door style for your toilet partition doors, that is not used for any schedulable doors. Note that in 2007, you can create an object override for the classification assigned to an object's style - but it would be easier to set up a separate style, if you do not already have one, than to remember to set the override all of the time. The Applies To tab of the Schedule Table Style is where you set the classifications that will be included in the schedules created with that style.

The layer filter has to be applied to each instance of the schedule; the classification filter is set once on the style and will affect all instances of that schedule.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arhine View Post
    Thank you for your answer. The only problem now is that I was wondering if the results could be in Feet and inches.
    Yes - Someone please help us finish this formatting problem. How do we convert this to real world "Lengh-Short" units? Since we don't normally schedule doors 36 x 84 - we need to change to feet-inches.

We're sooo close...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tomdillenbeck View Post
    Yes - Someone please help us finish this formatting problem. How do we convert this to real world "Lengh-Short" units? Since we don't normally schedule doors 36 x 84 - we need to change to feet-inches.

We're sooo close...
    Unfortunately, the embedded double quotation mark symbolizing inches for imperial lengths can cause issues in formula properties, particularly if you are passing through an already formatted value. Fortunately, you can calculate the feet, inches and fractional inches values and build a string from those parts that includes an embedded double quotation mark for the inches symbol and set that string as the RESULT.

This blog article discusses the issue and has a link to a thread in the Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Discussion Group (originally posted to the 2005 group, but now part of 2007 & Prior) that has a sample file with formulas that generates a H x W for windows in both decimal inches and fractional inches. You should be able to apply the same principles to the formula in this thread above and get the formatting you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast