Thread: Spiltface-Paint Command

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Spiltface-Paint Command

I have used the split face tool on an elevation and painted what I wanted. Every couple of days the split face messes up and I have to do it again. Does anyone know what this is doing and how I can stop it from happening?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Spiltface-Paint Command

Chad,

The paint tool can be problematic. If you edit the wall profile, or if walls are moved/detached, or edited the split-face can be deleted--sometimes "mysteriously" as you mention. We have run into this with Interior Designers' walls that have complicated tile/paint combinations.

When you have multiple materials on a single wall, it may be better to create a stacked wall, or add sweeps in the wall edit section view dialog with different materials, or even build walls in the same plane at various heights, etc.

Or--if you are determined to use the split-face method--be very aware that editing/trimming/disjoining, etc. may cause split-faces to be deleted--and you may spend more time chasing them/re-doing them. This is why I'd recommend the other methods above.

Cheers.....

PS--I'll get back to your email re: rendering!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Spiltface-Paint Command

It seems this is the only way to do it for now since it is two pieces above 2 windows. I do not want to add the soldier arch and the clap board to the window, since I do not know how. If it does go away, it only takes 5 minutes to get it back. Thanks for the reply. Kerry is out until monday by the way.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Spiltface-Paint Command

Quote Originally Posted by harkeychad View Post
    I have used the split face tool on an elevation and painted what I wanted. Every couple of days the split face messes up and I have to do it again. Does anyone know what this is doing and how I can stop it from happening?
    Its not an issue with the paint tool. Its an issue with the split-face system. When you split the face of an object like a wall, the ends of the line splitting the face are usually drawn ti the orange end line. IF this is horizontal, adjusting the length of the wall in ANY way will cause the line creating split-face area to no longer hit one of the end lines., and thus a warning tells you it is disappearing. I've had no luck "locking the endpoint of the splitting line to the orange edge of the wall. You're only method is to actually create a "box" where the lines creating the split face are closed, usually, I'll keep it a 1/16" of an inch off of the orange edges of the wall, and have had minor luck dimensioning the edge off of the wall, and then locking that dimension, WHILE I'm still in the sketch mode of the split-face tool.