Thread: Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

Hello all,

Regarding the feature where you can just hhit enter twice on the trim or extend command... I have a few machines where doing this freezes CAD. If you go into the TRIM command and just select the lines you want to trim (the old way of doing things), then it will work fine. But when I go into TRIM and hit enter twice, CAD will freeze. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

what happens when it freezes - check taskmanager - goes the processor to flatline 100%?? Is the red dot on the computercase flickering crazy for hard drive activity??

Does this effekt comes up with every drawing, or just with a few?? Have you installed all service packs for autocad, if not do so.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzjr
    Hello all,

Regarding the feature where you can just hhit enter twice on the trim or extend command... I have a few machines where doing this freezes CAD. If you go into the TRIM command and just select the lines you want to trim (the old way of doing things), then it will work fine. But when I go into TRIM and hit enter twice, CAD will freeze. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I have this happen when i have my 'batt insulation' cont. polyline in the screen, and to top of the stupidity of my actions, select a line on that batt insul. polyline.

i would say cont. polylines that contain arc are the achiles heel for my machine....

i look at this as a good excuse for a coffee break after rapid firing the escape key
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

Hi

How many Objects do those drawings contain ?

Maybe look at system variables Grips, GripObjLimit.

Do all machines have the same specs OR do the machines experiencing the issue / problem have different specs eg Graphics Card / RAM / CPU / etc ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzjr
    Hello all,

Thanks
    I doubt Autocad is frozen, unless you have a machine that is WAY underpowered. It's probably just taking a long time to finish.

Autodesk changed the way TRIM and EXTEND work, and now it is possible to select individual items inside of XREFS to use as boundary items for TRIM and EXTEND. Unfortunately, the new implementation of these commands seems to have a very slow algorithm for the "SELECT ALL" option, and it can be pretty annoying. The option seems to only look for items that are currently visible on your screen, though, so zooming in your display (if you can) will often help.

I suspect the only real fix for the problem is to get a faster machine. On 64-bit systems, the performance is generally acceptable, and we find that it's tolerable on our faster systems. I've noticed that these commands are pretty annoying on our older and slower machines, however.

The new versions of the routines also have problems trying to TRIM or EXTEND to polylines. Frequently, the TRIM or EXTEND will only be able to use a polyline as a boundary object if you explicitly select the polyline, not if you use the "SELECT ALL" option. There is no workaround for this problem. When it happens, the only option is to forget about the "SELECT ALL" option and just select the polyline as your boundary object.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Select All for Trim/ Extend Command Freezes AutoCAD

BTW - Possible Bug

I think Chris is right about the pline. I am having a similar problem and can recreate this everytime. When I freeze the layer with the polylines however, the problem goes away. Good Call Chris!

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by troy.87573
    BTW - Possible Bug

I think Chris is right about the pline. I am having a similar problem and can recreate this everytime. When I freeze the layer with the polylines however, the problem goes away. Good Call Chris!
    I don't think Chris meant it was a bug. I get the same thing happening from time to time. I imagine it's due to number of objects that CAD has to account for and the speed of the PC (as was suggested before). I find that the problem is more evident when using splines and plines ... I think this is because plines and splines are more complex drawing objects than simply XY driven lines.

But I don't think it's a bug per se ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc

The new versions of the routines also have problems trying to TRIM or EXTEND to polylines. Frequently, the TRIM or EXTEND will only be able to use a polyline as a boundary object if you explicitly select the polyline, not if you use the "SELECT ALL" option. There is no workaround for this problem. When it happens, the only option is to forget about the "SELECT ALL" option and just select the polyline as your boundary object.
    Yes, there is a workaround - at least one that works for me.
    Type "Convertpoly". If the default is <Heavy>, just hit enter, type All and enter.
    I only use this for 2-d flow diagrams, and I haven't had any problems or noticed any difference whatsoever after doing this - except that the trim and extend work with block entities and polylines the way they used to.