See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Student: Interview questions for an assignment

Login to Give a bone

Default Student: Interview questions for an assignment

Hi, I am a student in the interior design program and I am looking for somebody to answer some questions for me. I need to locate somebody who is using CAD in his or her practice. If anybody has the time to answer these following questions I would be very greatful!

Name, location, and profession of the person,

When do they use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.),

The types of standardization they use, and

Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to their practice.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Student: Interview questions for an assignment

Quote Originally Posted by sjc0523
    Hi, I am a student in the interior design program and I am looking for somebody to answer some questions for me. I need to locate somebody who is using CAD in his or her practice. If anybody has the time to answer these following questions I would be very greatful!

Name, location, and profession of the person,

When do they use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.),

The types of standardization they use, and

Advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to their practice.
    See here and please follow the links and advice found within that thread.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

check out this forum. there are a few topics with this question.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Seems theres a lot of this about, same questions and everything.

Welcome to AUGI.

Check out this thread and follow the links:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...cation+student

Cheers,

Steve.

Edit: Are you all on the same course?
    Last edited by H'Angus; 2007-02-01 at 12:17 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Probably
    Thanks for the link. I might not be able to use the answers because another student may already have. Do you use CAD?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Name, location, and profession of the person

Richard Lawrence

NW Louisiana

CAD Technician / Support

Q1: When do you use AutoCAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)

Concept through construction

Q2: What types of standardization you use.

Custom routines to enable layer and drafting standards. We also utilize the built-in styles for smart objects within Civil 3D.

Q3: What are the advantages or disadvantages that AutoCAD brings to your practice?

Allows for the coordination of designs with real world information to correct design issues that may not be known without such coordination.

Q4: Can AutoCAD be used as effectively for designing as it is used for reading construction documents? Could you please provide logical examples to support your answer?

Construction documents are typically created from those designs within AutoCAD and other vertical applications which are built on AutoCAD technology. We constantly reuse previous designs when developing our construction plans for future phases of a work site. Without this information, the costs of developing these designs would increase.

Q5: Do you use Modelspace and Paperspace? If so what are the advantages of doing this. If you did not use model space and paper space, what changes would have to be made to your drawings and what problems do you foresee if you have to go back and edit these?

We use both Model and Paper space areas of AutoCAD. The advantage of this set up allows us to quickly print and reprint drawings without having to set up the print layout more than once. It also allows us to reuse our design drawings in a sheet layout to annotate the information one way for a specific purpose and another way for a completely different purpose. This increase the speed of designing with AutoCAD.

Q6: If you use modelspace and paperspace: Since every AutoCAD drawing is usually created on a scale of 1:1, won't the scale hinder you as a designer in terms of sheet layout? Why or why not? Can you please provide logical examples to support your answer?

No. We typically develop civil site plans. For this we have a base drawing with the design. This design does not include annotation in Model Space. It is drawn 1:1. We then reference this base drawing into other Paper Space layouts. For each of these layouts have a specific purpose. Annotation for each purpose is contained on the designated layouts. As this relates to scaling, we let the viewports within the layouts handle this. It is setup once with no need to change it later. This decreases the amount of time for development of each sheet.

Q7: Do you consider AutoCAD a better way to draft versus manual drafting? If so, why do you think so?

Wouldn’t know. I did not ever manually draft.

Q8: Some people believe that standardization is just a waste of time; do you agree with this statement?

No. It allows others to work on drawings created by one and still know what to expect with the drawing. If all CAD technicians did their own thing, the time to develop plans increases if a different CAD technician must work on a non-standard drawing to finish the sheet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by .chad View Post
    check out there are a few topics with this question.
    Thanks for the recommendation. This is relevant to me

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

These questions & answers from thousands of members may not give you Name, location, and profession of the users but provide valuable data and information for anyone thinking about a career using CAD: https://www.augi.com/surveys-polls