Thread: Using Graphics Tablet with dual displays?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Using Graphics Tablet with dual displays?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a graphics tablet (Wacom Intuous or similar) with dual displays?

If so, how do you go about moving from one display to the other? Is it as simple as dividing the input area into two 'screen areas' of appropriate proportions (similar to how one defined the screen area with the old Kurta IS/One, and had command tiles around the rest of the tablet)? Or is there a button/pen/keyboard shortcut that you can use to flip from one to the other?

I'd really like to try out a modern pen style tablet, as I had an old Kurta IS/One back in R12 on DOS and I loved it - a 3" x 3" square was all that I needed for my entire 21" monitor. That, however, was obviously a single display system. (You had the optioin of a dual display with R12, but the other display was simply the text window - same as you got by hittting the F2 key, but always on.)

Cheers,...Jon.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Graphics Tablet with dual displays?

Quote Originally Posted by jguest
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a graphics tablet (Wacom Intuous or similar) with dual displays?

If so, how do you go about moving from one display to the other? Is it as simple as dividing the input area into two 'screen areas' of appropriate proportions (similar to how one defined the screen area with the old Kurta IS/One, and had command tiles around the rest of the tablet)? Or is there a button/pen/keyboard shortcut that you can use to flip from one to the other?

I'd really like to try out a modern pen style tablet, as I had an old Kurta IS/One back in R12 on DOS and I loved it - a 3" x 3" square was all that I needed for my entire 21" monitor. That, however, was obviously a single display system. (You had the optioin of a dual display with R12, but the other display was simply the text window - same as you got by hittting the F2 key, but always on.)

Cheers,...Jon.
    Hi Jon,

I'm still using a Kurta IS/ONE 12x12 with XP and 2006, and I am using dual monitors.

It acts just like a mouse would with dual monitors using the Virtual Tablet driver in the Windows XP environment. No problems here.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timcreary
    Hi Jon,

I'm still using a Kurta IS/ONE 12x12 with XP and 2006, and I am using dual monitors.

It acts just like a mouse would with dual monitors using the Virtual Tablet driver in the Windows XP environment. No problems here.
    Virtual tablet does have a couple quirks with dual-screen systems. Near as I can tell, it goes nuts when AutoCAD is not on the same screen as your taskbar, and will only let you get to one screen. This only happens when CAD is running - but when isn't it?

I prefer to have a little bit more AutoCAD screen space, so I put the taskbar on the other screen. I'm using GTCO-Calcomp's older 7.46 drivers for my DrawingBoard /// and they aree working OK. I figure I'm good there for a while, since we're in no hurry to move to Vista. Assuming Vtablet will get updated for Vista that soon anyway...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ekubaskie
    Virtual tablet does have a couple quirks with dual-screen systems. Near as I can tell, it goes nuts when AutoCAD is not on the same screen as your taskbar, and will only let you get to one screen. This only happens when CAD is running - but when isn't it?

I prefer to have a little bit more AutoCAD screen space, so I put the taskbar on the other screen. I'm using GTCO-Calcomp's older 7.46 drivers for my DrawingBoard /// and they aree working OK. I figure I'm good there for a while, since we're in no hurry to move to Vista. Assuming Vtablet will get updated for Vista that soon anyway...
    Hmm, seems to work fine here. I haven't seen that, but now I'll be on the lookout for it. Maybe it's device dependent? And I'm using V.6; what version did you use?

I like the radial button design of the Kurta, and I have both the 12 and 16 button versions (the 16 is a spare in case my 2 other 12s ever give out, heaven forbid).

Login to Give a bone

Wacom lets you change how the tablet is mapped to the screen. So with dual screen rigs you can map your tablet differently and it works just fine (if loosing some working area of your tablet).

Wacom just came out with a 'widescreen' tablet as well that would be better suited to such setups.

When I worked with dual screens and a Wacom I usually just set it up so that the pen was devoted to one screen only, but the Wacom mouse was 'normal'. Intous tablets recognize different tools,and can have custom settings per tool.