Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

Hi

Until software applications / programs have been written (updated) for use on Vista (Are Vista compliant), I personally feel such articles / statements are a little unfair / unjust... just my humble opinion.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Until software applications / programs have been written (updated) for use on Vista (Are Vista compliant), I personally feel such articles / statements are a little unfair / unjust... just my humble opinion.
    I agree. I used to think that Vista was going to be really bad for CAD, but the standard 3D benchmarks show it to only be about 5% slower currently than XP on the same hardware. Once Microsoft and the CAD vendors catch up things should speed up and be about the same.

Doesn't make any sense to me that things would be slower, you'd think Vista to be better than XP, but oh well. I personally am not going to use Vista until I have to, which I'm hoping by then many of these issues to be worked out.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

true - the articles didn't say much about how the benchmark was performed - my first guess was that this might have to do something with the graphic settings - that the benchmark was executed with the microsoft Direct3D.
    Don't know the present status - but caught once that OpenGL was not supported on vista. Only after installing a plug-in, one could access OpenGL.

On the other hand Tom's Hardware isn't the first/best reviewer that launches these "rumors". Solidworks claimed to be the first CAD system ready for Vista (or was it 64bit?) neuh - I remember Vista too... and it was in this test.

Caution is the advise at the moment

Login to Give a bone

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Shaan Hurley's article is, IMHO, quite telling - Vista is really great for playing Texas Hold 'Em. So THAT'S what they do behind the walls at Autodesk...

Now I'm not a systems programmer, but here are the facts as I know them:

1. When running just about any CAD application, the more system memory you have available for the application, the better it runs.

2. Every single review of Vista I've read says that Microsoft has seriously lowballed the hardware requirements - it runs very slowly with the recommended minimum of 512Mb of system memory. To make your Vista experience bearable, you need something more like 1Gb.

3. Several posts on AUGI state that many Autodesk products will not run at all on Vista.

4. Vista is Microsoft's first new desktop OS since Windows XP, and it took five years to develop. Microsoft delayed the release of Vista several times, and there was a significant beta testing period. Several application vendors (IBM, Symantec, Microsoft, etc.) developed Vista-compatible versions of their products prior to Vista's release, so that they would be immediately available to users of the new OS; Autodesk did not.

Conclusions:

If you rely on an Autodesk application, you need to avoid Vista for now. Since Autodesk applications run on Windows and Windows only, it seems inconceivable that Autodesk can continue to evade the issue of Vista compatibility, but given the resource-intensive nature of both CAD and Vista, it seems like an uphill battle. It's so much easier to keep playing poker.

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential, Inc.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The general feeling in the industry has been that migrating to Windows Vista is not really a pressing need for most companies. Most of the comments I have seen from other IT Managers talk about postponing Vista deployments a year or more, most saying definetely that they will not deploy until SP1 is out. See this article for example:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...ame/print.html

Therefore, I can see why Autodesk did not feel too much pressure to issue a Vista compatible product in time for Vista's launch. Their products are not aimed at the general consumer, but at more corporate type clients who are not in any hurry to upgrade to Vista. Besides, lets face it, what are their clients going to do? Go to their competitor?
    Last edited by Ruben; 2007-02-02 at 08:36 PM.

Login to Give a bone

A2007 launched in March 2006. Vista launched in January (just) 2007. You can't expect adesk to re-engineer A2007 for compatibility. Let's see what A2008 (March 2007) brings.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben
    The general feeling in the industry has been that migrating to Windows Vista is not really a pressing need for most companies. Most of the comments I have seen from other IT Managers talk about postponing Vista deployments a year or more, most saying definetely that they will not deploy until SP1 is out.
    Our IT manager feels the same way. No need to migrate now, but...

There is a certain turnover as machines break down and new employees are hired. For example, we have someone new starting mid-February. Normally, our IT manager would furnish him with a new computer, and he has a purchase agreement with Dell. So if the new computer comes with Vista, and the new guy needs to use AutoCAD...?

There's already a joke posted in the Coffee Without CAD forum about a customer so baffled by all the dfferent versions of Vista that he ends up choosing OS X....

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445
    Our IT manager... has a purchase agreement with Dell.
    What does that mean? Did he agree not to purchase from other vendors? Maybe this is the time to shop around a little. As I said in another thread, Xi is my current preference for desktop workstations. They have been very good machines, but when I have needed support Xi has been top notch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast