See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

Login to Give a bone

I've heard that the vist will support DWF AND DXF file formating there will nolonger be a need for the Express Viewer.
    for that I think that Vista will win my vote to Migrate.
    But I'm one to say sence I can't load my student version of ADT 2006 to run with the Vista. I have Duel boot with the ADT loaded on the XP Disk and Vista loaded on a Slave boot Disk.
    Any suggestions???????

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: CAD on Vista Performs Much Worse than on XP

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben
    The general feeling in the industry has been that migrating to Windows Vista is not really a pressing need for most companies. Most of the comments I have seen from other IT Managers talk about postponing Vista deployments a year or more, most saying definetely that they will not deploy until SP1 is out. See this article for example:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...ame/print.html

Therefore, I can see why Autodesk did not feel too much pressure to issue a Vista compatible product in time for Vista's launch. Their products are not aimed at the general consumer, but at more corporate type clients who are not in any hurry to upgrade to Vista. Besides, lets face it, what are their clients going to do? Go to their competitor?

Autodesk has competition?

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Refer to the links in this post [ RE: Will AutoCAD 2007 be supported on Windows Vista ].

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Usage of CAD in Vista via Jimmy Bergmark

Login to Give a bone

I've asked some of the early adopters what the compelling reasons were for migrating to Vista, and to date no one has come up with any reason that's even moderately compelling. Security has been suggested, but after reviewing the available information, security in vista seems to be more of a frustration than a reality. To be fair, security on a consumer or business OS can't really be judged until it's been in the wild for a while, so I'll keep my ears open in that area. Current reports on the built-in anti-virus are not encouraging however.

For now though, my XP boxes are tucked behind a hardware firewall at home, and at the office the It group is taking more active measures.

NT4 had substantial advantages over Nt3.5, so that upgrade was an easy choice. Win2K included ActiveDirectory, and an easy upgrade path, so as a corporate package it was a smart upgrade. (I'm willing to bet that there are still huge numbers of W2K machines chugging away and doing their job both in and out of corporate environments,) XP on the other had, didn't have all that many new features, but the remotedesktop was well worth the upgrade hassle.

For Vista though, since I don't have an imperative urge to load my OS up with oppressive DRM, and don't particularly care for the EULA provisions that authorize microsoft to remove any software from my machine that they don't like, I think I'll be running XP for quite a while.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    Doesn't make any sense to me that things would be slower, you'd think Vista to be better than XP, but oh well. I personally am not going to use Vista until I have to, which I'm hoping by then many of these issues to be worked out.
    It seems likely that the majority of the slowdowns are related to the internal encryption and DRM 'features' built into Vista. Not elements that are of any use to a worker-bee. But, not elements that will ever be 'worked out' because they are integral to the Gatesian vision of controlling all information flow everywhere and the strategic steps that MS is taking in regards to entertainment vs production.

In many ways, a reasonable W2K machine is a more effective cad box - just think of it as XP without some of the fluff and a simpler UI. Now if the original features in Longhorn would have made the cut, it would be a different story. I'd cheerfully take a 5% hit in speed for the benefits of WinFS.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

So don't buy vista to run CAD

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

'depends if you are on subscription... the next group of Autodesk programs should run on Vista just fine if you have a fast enough 'puter to run Vista itself.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pcraig0888
    So don't buy vista to run CAD?
    If you're buying a new pc it will almost certainly have Vista pre-installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast