Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADT2006 / ACAD2006 and Microsoft Vista?

Login to Give a bone

Cool ADT/ ACAD and Microsoft Vista?

I just purchased a notebook, which naturally, now runs on Microsoft Vista. For me it is essential to run ADT on it, except that ADT/ ACAD is not compatible with Vista?

Is Autodesk going to come out with any kind of patch to fix the compatibility issues for the ADT 2006 and others? How soon, because double booting my notebook is not a very convenient solution to this problem.

If you know anything please enlighten me.
    Thanks!!!
    Last edited by dante; 2007-02-05 at 03:14 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADT2006 / ACAD2006 and Microsoft Vista?

Just do a search for "Vista" on this site and you will get plenty of information. Basically, the way it stands right now is that Autodesk officially does not support Vista (or the other way around according to them), but there is going to be a patch issued some time in the future (no time frame given).

You can run Revit and ADT in Vista, without support from Autodesk, by configuring its shortcut so that it runs with Administrator privileges. See here:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=vista

This of course is not supported and who knows what other problems you may run into.

What I would do is return the laptop and find a vendor that offers XP. For example, Lenovo offers very nice laptops and according to this page you can still get them with XP:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...FABC3CE1BC569A

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

My understanding of Vista is that it does not support the video cards used by most CAD software. ADT will work on Vista with the aforementioned patches and fixes, but bring your lunch. Some CAD software slows to 1/10 its normal speed when run on Vista.

Promises are out there, though, for ADT 2008. The question then will be: Will Vista-enabled software run on XP machines?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham
    My understanding of Vista is that it does not support the video cards used by most CAD software. ADT will work on Vista with the aforementioned patches and fixes, but bring your lunch. Some CAD software slows to 1/10 its normal speed when run on Vista.

Promises are out there, though, for ADT 2008. The question then will be: Will Vista-enabled software run on XP machines?
    Many, I mean many corporations decided to skip ADT 2007 deployment and are still running ADT 2006, or older. Autodesk wants to make sure people upgrade to 2008 this time. If you were the CEO what strategy do you think would be more succesful:

- Ride on Vista's tail as an excuse, make ADT 2008 incompatible with XP, offer compelling features to entice users, and hope people are willing/able to cover the cost of upgrading their hardware, operating system, incompatible software, etc. relatively soon.

- Make ADT 2008 compatible with both Vista and XP and offer compelling features that make people want to upgrade. As people upgrade to Vista they naturally upgrade to 2008.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben
    Many, I mean many corporations decided to skip ADT 2007 deployment and are still running ADT 2006, or older. Autodesk wants to make sure people upgrade to 2008 this time. If you were the CEO what strategy do you think would be more succesful:

- Ride on Vista's tail as an excuse, make ADT 2008 incompatible with XP, offer compelling features to entice users, and hope people are willing/able to cover the cost of upgrading their hardware, operating system, incompatible software, etc. relatively soon.

- Make ADT 2008 compatible with both Vista and XP and offer compelling features that make people want to upgrade. As people upgrade to Vista they naturally upgrade to 2008.
    Most people are still on 2006 strictly because of the DWG format change. That was our only reason.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgoodmansen
    Most people are still on 2006 strictly because of the DWG format change. That was our only reason.
    Same here, we have 2007 which I play around with to stay in the loop but all work is done using 2006.

We should all be used to these things now, it has happened before going right back to dos days, then windows of the various releases, things change software developers catch up, although we will be sticking with XP until it no longer suits our purpose or its hugely beneficial to switch. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    I just purchased a notebook, which naturally, now runs on Microsoft Vista. For me it is essential to run ADT on it, except that ADT/ ACAD is not compatible with Vista?

Is Autodesk going to come out with any kind of patch to fix the compatibility issues for the ADT 2006 and others? How soon, because double booting my notebook is not a very convenient solution to this problem.

If you know anything please enlighten me.
    Thanks!!!
    In a word, no. See more about that here.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    hahahaha!!!!

I love that vid the one guy posted on installing vista!

http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Inst...ista-87b3.html
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    Interesting. So it seems that the official word from Autodesk is that none of their current ADT products will be supported under Vista. And, they "do not recommend that you upgrade to
    Vista".

So there it is, make sure your purchasing department knows that you will be needing XP machines for a while.

Login to Give a bone

Part of the reasoning (I believe) is that I don't think Vista supports VBA; Only VB.Net. So.....Looks like someone's going to have to re-do a program. That's half the reason I've tried to stick with lisp. It's not going away as long as window still runs over dos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast