Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xrefs - how much is too much?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default xrefs - how much is too much?

wow!

A user just came to me panicking about his CAD file. I took a look and noticed all the xrefs loading... and they just seemed to keep loading.

When it finally opened I saw what is shown in the image below.

So this leads me to two questions:
    1 How many xrefs is too many?
    2 What are you telling your users to do when xreffing? Overlay, attach or are you not managing this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: xrefs - how much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    Honestly depends on the type of project.

Also a key considerations, is the hardware being used up to the task ie.

* Is the network up to the task of transferring *all* that data to the desktop computer requesting it, in a reasonable time frame.

* Is the desktop computer able to load *all* that data into memory in a reasonable time frame and still be functional / userable...

2 What are you telling your users to do when xreffing? Overlay, attach or are you not managing this?
    Always use Overlay, unless the task at hand is *only* achievable via Attach.

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Always use Overlay, unless the task at hand is *only* achievable via Attach.
    Perhaps this should read "it is recommended to use Overlay" The idea that something has to be done a specific way compromises active exploration of options for individual situations.

The original question is "How many xrefs is too many?" and I suspect that the listed xrefs, although not extensive has given rise to seek advice on this issue.

In my experience manageability of critical data is the key - we dont have large buildings with multiple floors but we do have large site layouts. We have devised a modular system and broken the site down into various areas. The xrefs we use align with the module concept and are tiered in a suitable hierarchal structure.

The principle being to use only the information you actually need for each drawing.,

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am one for trying to keep x'refs down to a minimum - base plan and titleblock. However, I have a project that has six site plan layouts. I created the main (C1.0) that contains the x'ref of the buildings involved + title block. The other five (C2.0 to C6.0) site plans x'ref only the one master, therefore the list on those five is long but I only added ONE drawing to the x'ref manager - C1.0. Another example is my Topography layout (C2.0). The C1.0 and the topog. points are x'reffed so I do have a longer list, but it does not seem like it.

I like x'refs and will use them to my advantage - reflected ceiling plans are x'refs of the mechanical ventilation and electrical lighting layouts.

The x'refs need to be OVERLAY not attached.

Ted

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drafting.33933 View Post
    I like x'refs and will use them to my advantage - reflected ceiling plans are x'refs of the mechanical ventilation and electrical lighting layouts.

The x'refs need to be OVERLAY not attached.
    OVERLAY!!

I remember reading somewhere (long ago) that using the overlay method doesn't insert all the block "information" from the xref host into the drawing, therefore keeping the file sizes down.

Also keep in mind that a consistent file naming method and storage method (I prefer all in same folder no matter what) will help you keep track of everything.

As for the number of xrefs is too much? When autocad says its too much, imho. You CAN unload and sort them using the xref window... click the heading at the top...

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

wow!
    How many drawings can you open in your AutoCAD at a time? Your question is almost same like this. I would say that depends upon the machine & software configuration as Mike said.
    We already have a very good discussion on that topic over here

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Additionally, you may wish to take a look at THIS post and THIS one.

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

hi - we have a drawing too with numerous nested and overlay'd Xrefs - in total about 50 to 60. When opening this drawing the computer memory goes up to 2Gb. And that for an AutoCAD drawing. I had to put the /3GB switch on that machine. Takes a couple of minute to load too.
    It is our compagnie Geo drawing. And yes, we need very performant hardware to handle this, choosen a workstation for it.

Login to Give a bone

dang, with that level of complexity and amount of data, y'all might want to think about moving it into Map3D, and use drawing sets and queries instead of Xref files....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

it kind of grew over the history - everything outside the building is on map - all inside the buidings was put in autocad vanilla with the xrefs.
    Offcourse now we stand - relalizing that wasn't the best idea...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast