Thread: Room Tag Option

Login to Give a bone

Default Room Tag Option

Ok, I have a condo project with +300 units on five floors. I need to track the different unit types (ie B1, B2, B2a, etc). To do this we selected the walls of each unit (group) and unchecked "Room Bounding" for all interior walls leaving the perimeter walls checked. this allows us to tag each unit as a "Room" so we can schedule the unit mix as the project develops. (Still not sure this will be the best way to do this for the long run of the project...if you have other suggestions please share).

So, the second, third and fourth floors are the same but we need to have a sheet showing each of these levels. Instead of copying the unit groups from the second level and pasting them into the third and fourth, I'd prefer to draw a Plan Region around the inside face of the exterior building wall and set the visibility to the second level since the third and fourth levels are identical to the second. In tagging each Room (Unit Type) we also have a parameter for the Unit Number. So a B2 is a B2, but on the second floor it has a Unit Number of 201 while on the third level the B2 Unit should have a Unit Number of 301 and 401 on the fourth floor. I am essentially tagging the same unit from a different view utilizing the Plan Region but I need the Unit Numbers (201, 301, 401) to be per view.

This could just be text, but can anyone think of a way to set up the tag's parameters to provide this flexibility with the Unit Numbers?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Room Tag Option

Quote Originally Posted by dgraue
    ...but can anyone think of a way to set up the tag's parameters to provide this flexibility with the Unit Numbers?
    We took a different approach with large condo projects. We found it easier to use Area Plans instead of trying to do this with rooms. We customized an area tag and added some project-specific parameters for other things we might wish to schedule in the area. This has the added advantage of customizing color fills to show graphically which floor has what combination of units in addition to a schedule. Helps an owner understand the numbers better when it relates to the graphics. Can get SF information per unit also. And can lock the area boundaries to model objects so it more or less updates itself.

Keeps all the messy calcs separate from the rooms. Since our unit demising walls and core walls are not part of the unit group, it is not necessary to show all the interior detail on every floor. We also do not create area plans applying rules - too tricky for owners who have not decided what to do about marketing SF for units when dealing with balconies and other anomalies. You can also sort and filter as many schedule permutations as you want. Attached is a PDF of a schedule I made when testing this method early in the project. As you can see, we did not have all the area plans done and were sorting differently than our final result but it should give you the idea.

One approach - not necessarily right or wrong but it works for us. Good luck and let me know if this makes no sense and you need an example. But the best example I have is a huge project and impossible to post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr
    We took a different approach with large condo projects. We found it easier to use Area Plans instead of trying to do this with rooms. We customized an area tag and added some project-specific parameters for other things we might wish to schedule in the area. This has the added advantage of customizing color fills to show graphically which floor has what combination of units in addition to a schedule. Helps an owner understand the numbers better when it relates to the graphics. Can get SF information per unit also. And can lock the area boundaries to model objects so it more or less updates itself.

Keeps all the messy calcs separate from the rooms. Since our unit demising walls and core walls are not part of the unit group, it is not necessary to show all the interior detail on every floor. We also do not create area plans applying rules - too tricky for owners who have not decided what to do about marketing SF for units when dealing with balconies and other anomalies. You can also sort and filter as many schedule permutations as you want. Attached is a PDF of a schedule I made when testing this method early in the project. As you can see, we did not have all the area plans done and were sorting differently than our final result but it should give you the idea.

One approach - not necessarily right or wrong but it works for us. Good luck and let me know if this makes no sense and you need an example. But the best example I have is a huge project and impossible to post.
    We used Groups for the internal arrangements of a multi-unit residential scheme (wall joins turned off of course) and then just scheduled the groups. Of course, you don't get the area figures, but it was quick and simple.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr

Thanks, Phyllis. That is the way we decided to go.