Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autodesk University Cost

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Autodesk University Cost

Quote Originally Posted by srb
    Any rumors as to where this year's AU will be? I wish I had gone to the Florida one. Maybe it just psychological, but I think it would be an easier sell to the higher ups if I was asking to go somewhere not known for it's partying, night life, sin city reputation, etc. Know what I mean?

(By the way, the "early bird" I mentioned was for paying early not any thing to do with early classes.)
    NO YOU DON'T! Orlando was a HORRIBLE venue... I am NOT a Vegas type person... my first four AU's were there so I was happy for a new venue... erm... but, ORLANDO STANK.

You were stuck on this forsaken resort and had to take a taxi anywhere, you couldn't get a decent cup of espresso to save your life, and the 'niche' classes were all in the smaller hotel so it was a choice of sprinting to get to my FM classes and possibly being late, or just staying in the larger hotel and taking more CAD Management courses. Food was expensive, drinks were expensive, everything was expensive. Oh, and the hotel was stingy with the between class refreshments... I couldn't find a beverage to save my life.

(That said about the Swan and Dolphin resort, the Thursday night event at that Disney park was SO COOL, the busses to transport us seemed very well-organized and there complimenatary food and beverage carts everywhere you looked!)

Terrible.

The Venetian in Vegas is a GORGEOUS hotel and a pretty good venue, with the exception of the sub-par wireless network. There are expensive restaurants and cheap ones in a the food court... drinks and snacks at a reasonable price in the little shop by the food court.

As for the location... I was SO BUSY with classes and industry sessions and receptions that I didn't even have time to drop one nickel in a slot machine, I don't think it matters WHAT city you're in, because you're not going to have time to see anything but the conference room and your pillow as you fall asleep.

Summary, I'm a total prude, but, I'm fine with Vegas because of the superior facilites and access to inexpensive food, drinks and transport.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2007-03-13 at 02:09 AM.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk University Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    NO YOU DON'T! Orlando was a HORRIBLE venue... I am NOT a Vegas type person... my first four AU's were there so I was happy for a new venue... erm... but, ORLANDO STANK.
    OK, I stand rebuked.

I also had in the back of my mind that if it was in Orlando I could save some money and take my wife and 6 year old along (all staying in the same room) and they could do a vacation and see the sights while I was in class.

I am going to guess there isn't the same draw for a 6 year old at Vegas compared to Disney.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer

You were stuck on this forsaken resort and had to take a taxi anywhere, you couldn't get a decent cup of espresso to save your life, and the 'niche' classes were all in the smaller hotel so it was a choice of sprinting to get to my FM classes and possibly being late, or just staying in the larger hotel and taking more CAD Management courses. Food was expensive, drinks were expensive, everything was expensive. Oh, and the hotel was stingy with the between class refreshments... I couldn't find a beverage to save my life.

(That said about the Swan and Dolphin resort, the Thursday night event at that Disney park was SO COOL, the busses to transport us seemed very well-organized and there complimenatary food and beverage carts everywhere you looked!)

Terrible.

The Venetian in Vegas is a GORGEOUS hotel and a pretty good venue, with the exception of the sub-par wireless network. There are expensive restaurants and cheap ones in a the food court... drinks and snacks at a reasonable price in the little shop by the food court.

As for the location... I was SO BUSY with classes and industry sessions and receptions that I didn't even have time to drop one nickel in a slot machine, I don't think it matters WHAT city you're in, because you're not going to have time to see anything but the conference room and your pillow as you fall asleep.

Summary, I'm a total prude, but, I'm fine with Vegas because of the superior facilites and access to inexpensive food, drinks and transport.
    I totally agree. Also, finding someone you know is tough at the V because there are 7000 people on the escalators, but when you split them between 2 buildings, it's really tough to make connections.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by srb
    OK, I stand rebuked.

I also had in the back of my mind that if it was in Orlando I could save some money and take my wife and 6 year old along (all staying in the same room) and they could do a vacation and see the sights while I was in class.

I am going to guess there isn't the same draw for a 6 year old at Vegas compared to Disney.
    Vegas is not that child friendly, but for sake of the convention, is a much better venue.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drafter29
    I totally agree. Also, finding someone you know is tough at the V because there are 7000 people on the escalators, but when you split them between 2 buildings, it's really tough to make connections.
    AND, if you were stuck at one of the off-site hotels, you were dependent on the shuttles they provided - you couldn't hang out with the pals at the Swan and Dolphin after the events were done, because you had no good way to get back to your hotel..

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    AND, if you were stuck at one of the off-site hotels, you were dependent on the shuttles they provided - you couldn't hang out with the pals at the Swan and Dolphin after the events were done, because you had no good way to get back to your hotel..
    There were lots of peeps I wanted to visit with, but didn't get to because of that. & some new acquaintances I didn't get to know for the same reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12