Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade LT?

Login to Give a bone

Default Upgrade LT?

I am the unofficical 'CAD Manager' for our office. Our office uses LT98 to draw with. We have a copy of LT2000i that I have been using strictly as a conversion tool, - to convert newer dwgs from customers to LT98, so we can open them. Our dwgs are VERY simple and don't need any of the upgrades of the newer versions of AutoCad. The problem we are running into, is the same one we had a few years ago, LT2000i won't open newer dwgs. So I talked my manager into getting a new version of LT to do the conversion with. He's not thrilled about the cost, but is willing. I called a re-seller and asked him about conversion from LT2005 to LT98 and he didn't know if it will covert back that far. Do any of you know?
    What about the Upgrade option? With MS Windows, I have upgraded PCs to a newer operating system, but it has ALWAYS gone better for me if I wipe the PC and do a 'clean install'. - Is it this way with AutoCadLT also?
    Is LT2005 being replaced by 2006 in a couple of months?
    thanks in advance, craigr

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Upgrade LT?

I will tell you that it will be at least 2005 before there will be a 2006 anything since 2005 was just released this past march.

I don't know much about LT, but, I am checking with one of my users who just upgraded to LT2005 to see what his save down options are.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Upgrade LT?

It looks like AcadLT 2000 is the oldest version you are allowed to save to. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tim
    Reply from my user, Sorry, that doesn't look good for you.

Does anyone know if the batch converter will work in LT 2005 to save down to R14 format?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Upgrade LT?

Check out this thread AutoCAD chokes on script file. It has some posts about batch file converters.

Login to Give a bone

How many users do you have using AutoCAD. It might be worthwhile for the whole office to upgrade. You may be surprised at what you find in there as time saving updates, as well as the fact that you will find better support for the newer versions. You are talking about 5 new releases since the last time you upgraded. Might be something to do an analysis on. Look into some of the new features of the new versions, there might be things in there that will save you a lot of time.

As far as upgrading, since AutoCAD usually installs in different folders, you can leave the old one in there, but if you are not going to be using it, you might as well remove it first, and then install the new one.

Good luck

Login to Give a bone

Okay, I'm being REALLY CHEAP here, but... could I buy one copy of LT2005, back-rev it to 2000i, then open the dwg in LT2000i and 'back rev' it to LT98? This is not my preferred anwer, but I know it is going to come up.
    What about Voloview express? Are all of our Sales guys going to have to have a different viewer since Voloview Express isn't supported by Autodesk any longer? - Do any of you know a cheap / free viewer that works well?
    - thanks for all of your suggestions, craigr

Login to Give a bone

You can save the drawings as dwf, and there is a free viewer from Autodesk for those. You can also save them as pdf, and use Acrobat reader to view them

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by crussell.61480
    What about Voloview express? Are all of our Sales guys going to have to have a different viewer since Voloview Express isn't supported by Autodesk any longer? - Do any of you know a cheap / free viewer that works well?
    Hi

Check out the following threads -

2005 DWG viewer

Print drawings without AutoCad

+

Further searching within the AUGI Forums will return more info on "Viewers" "Voloview Express" "DWF" "PDF" etc -

Search Forum

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Upgrade LT?

Well, sure enough, I got shot down. We can't afford to upgrade everyone to LT2005 right now. - So... per my previous post,

'Okay, I'm being REALLY CHEAP here, but... could I buy one copy of LT2005, back-rev it to 2000i, then open the dwg in LT2000i and 'back rev' it to LT98? This is not my preferred anwer, but I know it is going to come up.'

Will this work? - The only other option is to take a VERY dirty plotted dwg of a floor plan and scan it into our title block. - I REALLY don't want to put my name on something like that.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. - craigr

Login to Give a bone

You can ask your customers to save them as 2000i files (I think 2005 will save to 2000i, but I am not sure).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast